Cascades on PBS

I was watching a one-hour PBS program about composer Aaron Copland last night. It was narrated by Michael Tilson Thomas, the Music Director of the San Francisco Symphony, and it was quite good. Tilson Thomas was discussing "El Salon Mexico", Coland's 1st "popular" composition done in the 1930's. The SF Symphony began to play an excerpt when the picture changed to filmed coverage of the Cascades playing the piece at a field competition. Tilson Thomas said, "This is drum corps," and gave a nice and complimentary description of our activity. He then introduced a string player from the orchestra, who was shown doing field judging, I assume, of the Cascades' brass at the competition. I didn't catch her 1st name, but her last name was Nicolaris. She spoke, IIRC, about the music education aspects for the marchers. Then they switched back to Copland's life. It was quite a nice surprise in an excellent program. Check your local channel for repeat showings.

Edited by JFitz19

I was watching a one-hour PBS program about composer Aaron Copland last night. It was narrated by Michael Tilson Thomas, the Music Director of the San Francisco Symphony, and it was quite good. Tilson Thomas was discussing "El Salon Mexico", Coland's 1st "popular" composition done in the 1930's. The SF Symphony began to play an excerpt when the picture changed to filmed coverage of the Cascades playing the piece at a field competition. Tilson Thomas said, "This is drum corps," and gave a nice and complimentary description of our activity. He then introduced a string player from the orchestra, who was shown doing field judging, I assume, of the Cascades' brass at the competition. I didn't catch her 1st name, but her last name was Nicolaris. She spoke, IIRC, about the music education aspects for the marchers. Then they switched back to Copland's life. It was quite a nice surprise in an excellent program. Check your local channel for repeat showings.

Hmm..Teddy Nicolaris (of 27 fame) is a DCI percussion judge. Diane Nicholaris (the judge) is his sister (edited this once I found out!)

Edited by tubamann