CAMP! Madison Style

You are quick, and needy but wrong. Keep checking more clues to come.

If this has already been discussed I am sorry, but would someone please explain to me why corps, not just Madison, feel it is important to be so secrative about their show concept and music.

Hilly

Madison 1988, 1989

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this has already been discussed I am sorry, but would someone please explain to me why corps, not just Madison, feel it is important to be so secrative about their show concept and music.

Hilly

Madison 1988, 1989

Several reasons... but I think some of the big reasons they try to keep it down now is to prevent the inevitable opinions from forming before the music or concept is even given a chance. The critics will cut the concept/music choice down before they even have all the facts or have heard a note. The fans will build it up to more than it might be intended to be too soon.

Also, once negative criticism of a corps selected music or concept is out and people here in forums like this start their crazy arguing over "it will never work" or "It will be the best ever" ... the members themselves CAN be influenced by that, even though I'm pretty sure most corps keep the members focused enough to not care about things like that.

I don't see what's wrong with keeping it a surprise until it's on the field. Back when I marched you would hear rumors of what a corps was playing, but not know for sure until they were out performing it. That was part of the excitement!

Is it really THAT important that we should all know a corps concept and music ahead of time?

Edited by GGarrett

As Geno pointed out, I think it has to do with his points. Think about the amount of scrutiny corps get for their show when the thing is posted so early, especially corps like the Cadets, Madison, or Pioneer. Any decision they make is going to be beaten to death and criticized by the masses, and it's really not worth it.

In 2007 there were so many people on these boards just blasting away at Madison for what they were doing, or this or that, that they needed to change things, and what did they produce, well in my opinion one of the most under-rated shows of 2007. They were a great corps, worked hard, and were very entertaining. Yet tons of people all over these boards blasted them and I am willing to bet that most of those people were basing it on the judges scores or from what they heard, not what they saw.

So why should they just post things to tons of people, so a group of individuals on the National-Drum Corps Planet-Enquirer can come in here with their opinions and come down on a group, even though those people doing the #####ing haven't got a clue about what they're talking about.

And further...do corps owe it to us to tell us what they're playing? Is it our right? NO. Before the internet you got that info from here-say, DCI Today-in late spring, or going to a show. We'll know the show, and be told it, when the corps feels like it. And it's not just the Men of Madison that haven't announced, so if those of you that are complaining are upset, take a look around the activity and see how many others have announced. And no, show titles are not an anncouncement, it's a title. It doesn't tell you what people are playing or how the show is going to work. That's like someone saying "I wrote a book it's called 'The Art of Baseball'" and so we think, hey, it's a book about baseball. Then you read the book and it's about gardening. So thinking that way, I guess there are only a handful of corps that have even announced.

Just some thoughts. Not trying to offend anyone.

In 2007 there were so many people on these boards just blasting away at Madison for what they were doing, or this or that, that they needed to change things, and what did they produce, well in my opinion one of the most under-rated shows of 2007. They were a great corps, worked hard, and were very entertaining. Yet tons of people all over these boards blasted them and I am willing to bet that most of those people were basing it on the judges scores or from what they heard, not what they saw.

I agree with most of the points in your post, but I have to say the Madison I saw and heard early season last year was pretty much a train wreck! Having said that, they answered the clue phone, they were probably the most improved corps over the course of the season, and ended up with fine, respectable program as you pointed out. If the season had lasted another week they may have slipped into finals, and they have positioned themselves well for 08. However, they deserved the early season "blasting" IMO, as much as the season ending "kudos". I don't believe in candy coating.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

I agree with most of the points in your post, but I have to say the Madison I saw and heard early season last year was pretty much a train wreck! Having said that, they answered the clue phone, they were probably the most improved corps over the course of the season, and ended up with fine, respectable program as you pointed out. If the season had lasted another week they may have slipped into finals, and they have positioned themselves well for 08. However, they deserved the early season "blasting" IMO, as much as the season ending "kudos". I don't believe in candy coating.

I don't believe in that either, however, I have and will never take my opinion of a group from what I hear on DCP or from a judges sheet and base my opinion of any group on that, and as my post stated, many of the people that had a problem with the corps in 2007 were doing just that. Now if people are going to have an opinion, positive or negative of the corps, and they have seen them, well then I will value their opinion. But if it is based solely on score sheets and posts by people that did not see the group live, well, then do they really have an opinion.

It's like people that blasted away at the Cadets about the narration, but didn't hear it. I waited until I saw the show to make my assessment, when I felt that I had an opinion. That's all I am saying.

Are they playing the music of the Doors this year?

Are they playing the music of the Doors this year?

Actually, they are playing the music of Thin Lizzy.

The opener will be "The Boys are back in town". :tongue:

Edited by madalumni

Jason,

It was good to see you my Euph. Bro. !

Let me start by saying that I am an Alum. and also have a son marching again this year, so I am one of those green kool-aid people ! I have been to all the camps this year and was at all of them last year. I was also on tour with last years corps for 3 weeks, so how can I not root for the home team ?!?! I will tell you this, "You will never see me talk bad about another corps on here !" IMHO we are way, way,way ahead of last year at this time. We should be though, last year we had all new people from the corps dir. down. This year everybody was/is in place at the right time.

Camp report :

I saw that Madison Scout GLOW !!!!!

Marching had that snap to it ! Great attention to detail !!!!

I saw a full hornline and drumline and pit,also heard we where half way to our goal of 40 guard members !

They played long notes, short notes,high notes,low notes and seemed to be in almost all the right place's.

Edited by Bill L.

Actually, they are playing the music of Thin Lizzy.

The opener will be "The Boys are back in town". :tongue:

Leapin' Lizards!

Oh wait... that's Little Orphan Annie...

My vote is for Mal-Iguana!