Project Arts Drum and Bugle Corps!

i just looked at the website for project arts. it seems like a sketchy idea. i auditioned for tealsound in 2006 and didnt make it, but some of the names listed for their staff were some of the people i met at the winter camps. which means their staff is my age, and probably dont have their degrees yet. i kept intouch with some of my fellow drummers, and hornline friends from auditions that made it and they told me that arjuna myles( director of project arts) was named head drum major, and a week after move ins quit because the staff asked him to change his conducting style, and he didnt want to do that even though its what was best for the corps. will it be a repeat of the past, the head man walks out because times get rough??

I would never cast a stone at a few of the names on their staff list. Mason, Tim and Germaine are all up and comers in the activity. Never know- they may be the next great generation of drum corps leaders. However, with that being said I am a little concerned about the director of this venture. I hope he has grown some since his last attempt at drum corps!

D

The site does not look too professional and has not been updated. I would not send a kid of mine there. Sad though would love to see another power corps come out of florida like Teal Sound and the Miami Crusaders... i mean Boston Crusaders. :lol:

None of the staff, will have any degrees. Including the corps director. The director has never even marched corps before. He was Head Drum Major at teal sound in 06 then after everydays he walked out in the middle of the night leaving only a note saying he quit. I would not want anyone I knew going to a corp where even the corps director doesnt take commitment seriously and just runs out on people who are counting on him.

This idea is very very sketchy. It will not work.

i agree with some that we shouldnt knock the staff, i know some of the staff, but i have no faith in the "director" of this project. from what i know of him from the few camps i was at after the drum majors were selected, he was always junior teching, and was pretty arrogant about what he did.

Arjuna certainly left Teal in a bind back in 06, but his leaving under the cover of darkness was probably the best thing in the long run. When he left, we were immediately plagued with timing problems that hadn't previously existed, which took weeks to overcome. We also had to break in a new, inexperienced DM that frankly was in way over his head. Why was that a good thing? The new DM matured over the summer into a competent conductor, and a strong leader. He's still at Teal, looks great on the podium, and I hear that he's developed into an excellent leader. Arjuna's departure made way for a natural leader to step up and mature with his organization, which is really a pretty cool thing. As for Arjuna, we all make stupid mistakes when we're younger. I think he regrets his actions, and while I don't think we'll ever see Project Arts field, I admire his enthusiasm. Have fun, and keep the dream alive. :nervous:

I've gotten to spend a good time amount of time with some of these people, and I honestly believe that ALOT of people from Teal are gonna go on to be big in the activity in the future. I know I want to start a corps myself one day in the future, and I know of others who want to involved with this activity for a long time to come. Maybe it'll never happen, but if I did, I would be very supporting. I wish you all the best of luck, not just in this endevour, but the many more I'm sure are ahead of you all! :nervous:

Never back down from you're dreams, and nothing else matters!

Edited by JoshKegley

Hey everyone! I am thinking of joining a drum corps next season after I graduate high school. Project Arts may end up being a great corps to join. who knows.

But it looks to me that Teal Sound may be scared of a little competition in their state seeming how all the posts are clearly from them. Music programs are already being taken away as it is! Why in the world would we want to dicourage ANY music programs trying to form??? As music people shouldnt we be in some kind of alliance to keep the movement going? I was going to consider joinning Teal, but I think I can find a program that supports music rather than bash it.

Hey MelloSkies, whats say you about this new corps? If they have the money to fund the corps and it get it going I think it could be really fun to join.

Well talk to everyone later

-Kristin