notation help

Pegcityskank

A slash on any note means to let the stick bounce a half-time. slash on an eighth = two sixteenths, slash on a sixteenth = two 32nds, etc.

Now for the straight answer ....

Technically, the slashes denote a tremolo - a rapid alternation between pitches, or repetitions of the same pitch.

A tremolo can be measured or unmeasured. A measured tremolo is a specific subdivision of a larger note value (drumming = diddles). An unmeasured tremolo is a non-specific number of cycles (drumming = nonrudimental rolls).

The slashes can also denote a flutter effect on wind instruments.

Now for the straight answer ....

Technically, the slashes denote a tremolo - a rapid alternation between pitches, or repetitions of the same pitch.

A tremolo can be measured or unmeasured. A measured tremolo is a specific subdivision of a larger note value (drumming = diddles). An unmeasured tremolo is a non-specific number of cycles (drumming = nonrudimental rolls).

The slashes can also denote a flutter effect on wind instruments.

And this being the percussion section and him asking about a rudiment, we gave him the percussion-specific answer

But I never knew that, so I forgive you :nervous:

And this being the percussion section and him asking about a rudiment, we gave him the percussion-specific answer

But I never knew that, so I forgive you :nervous:

Yeah, they're all good answers - it depends on the context/idiom in which the slashes are being used. Rudimental, "concert" style, wind instruments, strings - each interprets them in a slightly different way.

By way of answering Pegcityskank's question, Tristan has got it covered. It's showing a 5 stroke roll, initiated with a flam. The 2 slashed 16ths would be played as four 32nd notes, sticking rrll (preceded of course, by a left hand grace note for the flam).

Are we overdoing it? Catch you all later...

Fred O.

• 1 month later...

yes freddy we are overdoing it, but as usual, I'm gonna agree with tristan.

First of all ... DO NOT BOUNCE ... stroke (and certainly not "half a bounce")

Second of all, it is NOT a tremolo. One slash does not a tremolo make. One slash on a quarter note means eighth note. One slash on an eighth note means 16th note, etc.

Now that i've said what NOT to do .... if ya wanna know what TO do .... listen to Tristan, he's almost always right on the money!

yes freddy we are overdoing it, but as usual, I'm gonna agree with tristan.

First of all ... DO NOT BOUNCE ... stroke (and certainly not "half a bounce")

Second of all, it is NOT a tremolo. One slash does not a tremolo make. One slash on a quarter note means eighth note. One slash on an eighth note means 16th note, etc.

Now that i've said what NOT to do .... if ya wanna know what TO do .... listen to Tristan, he's almost always right on the money!

Hey - How're ya doin', Joe! Hope all is well with you. What the heck is half a bounce?

regards,

Fred O.

Hey - How're ya doin', Joe! Hope all is well with you. What the heck is half a bounce?

regards,

Fred O.

I'm guessing it's a half-###ed attempt at a bounce. Like what happens after a few minutes of an infinity roll, arm is contorted, and you're just moving the stick up and down with your arm, no real attempt to stick out a diddle at all.