DCI follows BOA ?

It seems like DCI seems to be following Bands of America .

When did this start happening ?

When did BOA become the state of the art ?

How did DCI let this happen ?

WHY ?

I have no problem with any rules passed so far. they all seem to be working out fine . BUT >>>>>

DCI was the state of the art , the innovators , what happened ?

Edited by dcifan2002

I would say BOA has been state of the art since 01-02. I take it that was a rhetorical question though

Well, for those of us who aren't into BOA, couldn't care less about MB's, and haven't been paying attention to how BOA become so innovative, fill us in. Second poster mentioned 01-02 time frame in answer to OP's question. Please fill us in. Believe it or not, I am not all-knowing, and it is an interesting topic.

I think that DCI should take note of BOA's successes if your assertions are indeed true, and I don't doubt that they are. Texas has had a PHENOMENAL amount of growth and development since I was in HS (92) and most of the schools that have opened have GREAT bands today. All of those guys who marched in my era--and since!--came here to teach after aging out and graduating. So it doesn't surprise me to hear that BOA is the bomb now. If this trend here is similar to other States, then I don't doubt it for a second.

The other side of my saying that I don't doubt it for a second is that we are, after all, talking about DCI--not the most forward-thinking group in the artistic realm. Even symphony orchestras, who perform largely music composed of dead people, are more forward-thinking than DCI. Their outreach programs for families and children--even SINGLES!--are phenomenal--very creative! How do we interest a new generation of patrons in a centuries-old "activity"? DCI has not historically been the one to do this. So it doesn't surprise me to hear, if this assertion is correct, that BOA is now leading the way.

Tell us more, and do try to be both objective and as factual as possible. Heavy on facts, light on opinions. I know that is rare around DCP, but it is an interesting topic that would benefit from that.

DCI is somewhat a victim of its own sucess.

Many of the instructors who teach corps also, for years, have taught at the BOA level. They were able to do what they wanted with the more liberal BOA rules. Now that the BOA side of the activity has grown, many of these folks are wanting to do the same things they do with their bands, albeit at a higher level.

Not that it bothers me, really. I have no problem with electronics if it is done well. I will judge each corps by their merits on the field.

DCI is somewhat a victim of its own sucess.

Many of the instructors who teach corps also, for years, have taught at the BOA level. They were able to do what they wanted with the more liberal BOA rules. Now that the BOA side of the activity has grown, many of these folks are wanting to do the same things they do with their bands, albeit at a higher level.

Not that it bothers me, really. I have no problem with electronics if it is done well. I will judge each corps by their merits on the field.

this would explain why the instrucors voting was far more in favor of the new rules.

Rule ----------Instructors -----------Directors

Water----------17-4 -----------------16-2

Amped brass 16-5------------------11-7

Amps ---------20-0-1----------------11-7

I'm going to post this on every single thread regarding the insult of the activity................... and since when did Broken Arrow become better than the Cadets? haha, stop saying such dumb things like BOA is better than or the new DCI, it's just stupid.

I don't really care. Before people would attack and trash talk individual corps and now it's on to the whole junior corps. This activity is quite hateful towards, not only to us kids who sacrifice alot of itme and effort in order to perform these shows as best we can, but towards each other also. You guys can get upset with the organization all you want just leave the kids out of it and don't expect dci to stop based on the opinions of a few, look at Cadets, yeah they had a ton of voice and whatever but you heard the hornline, they were amazing, and granted not every hornline is like that there is still alot more going on than amplifications, water, and whatever. And just because these rules pass doesn't mean that every single corps out there is going to take advantage of it, look at how many corps DIDN'T use narration. So yeah whatever, think what you want, but i'm going to have a blast this summer marching. You guys have fun bringing the activity down and talking about how it's exactly like BOA, psh.