Student, Intermediate, and Professional, What's the Difference?

CourtOfHonorMember

I am just wondering what the difference is in student and upper level trumpets. My corps has issued a holten collegiate. Is this a good horn? Should I move to professional? Thanks! Do you guys still use student horns?

Dang, if 10 is the best then Jupitor is just below Yamaha? Wow, people last year on DCP were saying Jupitor would never get better. I kept saying Yamaha used to be junk and was flamed. Guess i was correct.

I am just wondering what the difference is in student and upper level trumpets.

Often the acoustical differences are very little. Sometimes the only differences are cosmetic. Sometimes it's the quality of the materials, or the skill of the assembler.

THe biggest difference is always the Student, Intermediate, or Professional attached to the big end of the mouthpiece.

I am just wondering what the difference is in student and upper level trumpets. My corps has issued a holten collegiate. Is this a good horn? Should I move to professional? Thanks! Do you guys still use student horns?

From what I've seen on the market...

Student = Inexpensive, sometimes cheap, sometimes low quality, sometimes fodder for bus wheels.

Intermediate = A little more expensive than Student models, usually solid construction, what the Student model used to be.

Professional = Depending on the manufacturer, it can mean anything from an over-priced student model, to a very good horn.

FWIW, when newbies have the current crop of student model horns they last for about a year or two and then need to be replaced with an intermediate level instrument. Today's student model horns are "throw-aways" and are not really worth repairing if the repair cost is more than $100. If I had a kid learning to play, I'd find an intermediate model horn on a rent-to-own plan and get the instrument insurance. You'd be surprised what kids will do with a horn. (Put a marble down the bell to see what happens :tongue: , etc.)

See, the reason I'm wondering is because my corps has issued me a holton Collegit (not spelled right I know), and my corps director says it was made in the seventies. I was just trying to find out some history behind it.

See, the reason I'm wondering is because my corps has issued me a holton Collegit (not spelled right I know), and my corps director says it was made in the seventies. I was just trying to find out some history behind it.

Holtons are great horns. You can look up the age of the instrument online from several different websites via the serial number, but all in all the Collegiate series is a very well built horn made in the USA and built to last.

Holtons are great horns. You can look up the age of the instrument online from several different websites via the serial number, but all in all the Collegiate series is a very well built horn made in the USA and built to last.

I agree. I would consider the Holton Collegiate of that era an intermediate level instrument by today's standards.