Battery as the pit and vise versa

SO as was stated in another post, the Ventures all girl corps (Kitchener, Ontario, Canada) had their entire percussion section "grounded" for many years, I got to thinking, I know a few of the Div. III corps did it, did ever any other divisions really do this? That I don't remember, I know several would have some or all of the battery play in the pit for a ballad, but what other coprs did this? I do remember HYPE (or it may have still been Conqueror II at the time) performed The Wasp and the battery kept switching from snare to tenor to bass etc....going in and out of the pit regulary. So think back about some of the other "different scenarios" that drumlines did and let us in especially if you have any info on the background why that decision was made. I also seem to recall, (memory bad here, someone correct me if I am wrong) around '87 the Knights (or Geneseo Knights????) having no battery but probably the biggest drumset right on the 50.....Is my memory right and if not....who was it????????

Thanks and try to remember.......cause my memory is not what it used to be..... :rolleyes:

SO as was stated in another post, the Ventures all girl corps (Kitchener, Ontario, Canada) had their entire percussion section "grounded" for many years, I got to thinking, I know a few of the Div. III corps did it, did ever any other divisions really do this? That I don't remember, I know several would have some or all of the battery play in the pit for a ballad, but what other coprs did this? I do remember HYPE (or it may have still been Conqueror II at the time) performed The Wasp and the battery kept switching from snare to tenor to bass etc....going in and out of the pit regulary. So think back about some of the other "different scenarios" that drumlines did and let us in especially if you have any info on the background why that decision was made. I also seem to recall, (memory bad here, someone correct me if I am wrong) around '87 the Knights (or Geneseo Knights????) having no battery but probably the biggest drumset right on the 50.....Is my memory right and if not....who was it????????

Thanks and try to remember.......cause my memory is not what it used to be..... :rolleyes:

Indeed we did. (The Knights, that is.) We had a bad winter and the corps almost folded, so what started out as a good line picking up from our unbelievable 86 line was scattered all over creation in the late winter of 87. Pit players went to SCV and Cavies, one of our snares went to Star, etc. So the decision was made to ground everything for thew Emerson, Lake and Palmer show we ended up doing. We had two kits in the pit and a monster rock set out on the field at the 50, filling out the "arena rock" set we used.

For the record, the Ventures were not 100% grounded that year; they strapped 'em on at one point in their opener and I think at anohter point in the show as well. So we were the kings of the pit that year.

Phantom did something like that in 96, I believe, in the opener.

Yes you are right in '87 they marched in the opener, my sister marched there that year and I was fortunate enough to spend ALOT of time with the corps. However, I do know that in previous and subsequent years their percussion section was completely grounded, and I believe in 1990 they again put the percussion "on the march" for a small portion in their show, however, I am almost certain that in '91 (Suite Earth) the percussion was completely grounded......so any otherfrom other corps????? Anyone?????....oh and for the record, I thought the idea of the "Arena Rock stage setup" was cool.

The Rochester Patriots had completely grounded percussion in 1996 and 1997 (they were in division 3 at this point) and were a FABULOUS percussion section, many times beating the groups with the "flashy" drumline.

Not to belabor the point, but back in the day this was as "grounded" as a drum line got.

RideOfTheValkeries1972.jpg

Everybody in a uniform marched.

Puppet