An experiment

TAFL

I got a chance to discuss the matter with our lead snare yesterday--he's my partner-in-crime adult supervision--and we figure we're gonna work on building some drums. It's not something we expect to accomplish in the next month, certainly, though I do hope to get started on the process.

We're going to start with tenors. The idea is to segment-build shells, and once those are finished, buy new hardware for them. The segment building leads to more resonant shells because of the small amount of glue involved (in comparison to multi-ply) and we can get the exact sizes and depths we want. We also won't have patched holes in the shells due to reconfiguring the layout of the tenors--we can set them up as we want from the get-go.

Then we'll take a shot at building snares. The shells will be stave-built, which also involves much less glue than multi-ply, and we can control the thickness of the shell and size of reinforcing rings and all that. We have all the hardware we need on the existing snares, so our costs are limited to the wood and the finish.

As for bass drums, well...we'll have to see.

Anybody built their own in this fashion?

No, but I have a few ideas for drums that one day when I acquire the funds and equipment to build a drum, I would like to build a prototype.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep us updated. I am really interested in building tenors that are lighter and cheaper than what is currently on the market.