The Real Year Drum Corps Died-1974

elphaba01- Q: Who said, "The grammophone record ('canned music' as he called it) was the doom of live marching brass music."

A: John Phillip Sousa, in 1878.

:omg:

I was told a long time ago that it was called "canned music" because the old foil cover cylinders looked like cans. Also, until a reliable duplication process was developed, each early recording was a custom performance. I think they would have many machines set up and record as the performer would play or sing and do it over and over again to make more copies.

That probably explains why so many of those old recordings are filled with mistakes that they just let go.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told a long time ago that it was called "canned music" because the old foil cover cylinders looked like cans. Also, until a reliable duplication process was developed, each early recording was a custom performance. I think they would have many machines set up and record as the performer would play or sing and do it over and over again to make more copies.

Man, that's a lot of work!

Imagine telling a singer back then that he or she needed to make a million copies by the end of the week. :omg:

Fran

Yes, it's my understanding that Edison had a really long building with a series of little recording studios, all connected. A performer would start at one end, and run through all these studios while singing or playing their instrument. Of course, you can see where I'm going with this....

This was the origin of the term....

"run through" :thumbup:

Hmnmn... managed to get through the entire '74 season with absolutely no memories. No chemicals or alcohol, either - just no memories. Now '75 Muchachos - World Open - holy cowabunga dudes!!!

That tore me apart!!! Drum line and soloists - unbelievable! :thumbup:

Hmnmn... managed to get through the entire '74 season with absolutely no memories. No chemicals or alcohol, either - just no memories. Now '75 Muchachos - World Open - holy cowabunga dudes!!!

That tore me apart!!! Drum line and soloists - unbelievable! :thumbup:

And their drum line was awesome that year!

Muchachosdrumline.jpg

Snares!

Yikes!

Puppet

Puppet- When I saw this corps at the '75 DCI East contest, I got so excited, I thought I was gonna have a heart attack!!! Yeah, they were THAT good! :thumbup:

One of the single most entertaining corps I have ever or will ever see. On top of that Jeff Kievit remains a class act to this day and still sounds great!

A few years back, after practice with an all-age corps, I played a recording of the '74 Muchachos for a group of 'younger' members. I was not at all surprised that they were just 'blown away' by the performance. The facial expressions were priceless. There were tears in the eyes of a few. Jaws dropped. Lots of screamin' and hollerin'. Laughter and smiles. "WOW's!!!!" And a number of, "Will you play it again, please?"

Yeah.

:thumbup:

Ahhhhhhh, if only we could be as "bored and confused" as we were during that 1974 season!!!

Well, for some, the 1974 season was not to be: An excerpt from the Brassmen 1974 web page:

It was the end of the '73 drum corps season, going into the '74 season. After two consecutive years of being the bridesmaid at the World Open… after being evicted by two parishes in the Brooklyn Diocese… after losing a large portion of our personnel from Connecticut… after being dragged further out on Long Island for another shot at recruiting to fill the ranks and bring the Brassmen back once again from the brink, this time it was not going to happen.

The last horn/drum rehearsal never started. It was an autumn night at a school that was located in Malverne, a town on Long Island. We had about 15 horns, maybe 10 drummers, and five in the guard. With tears in his eyes, Carman Cluna announced that he was "pulling the plug,” and walked out of the music room. Hy Dreitzer and the rest of us were silent. Left unsaid…

That we were a #### fine organization that came from nowhere burned hot and fast and extinguished with three words.

I'm crying even now as I write this.

Puppet

Puppet- I too, feel a tremendous sense of loss for all those great corps that never reached the year 1980. Such great memories of wonderful people, in really good corps, doing phenominal shows... :tongue: