Which Corps Have Not Used Narration/Singing?

Just wondering which of the top 12 Corps from the past three years have refrained from using any form of amplified narration or singing in their shows. I confess I haven't watched a DCI show since 2004, other than what I've seen on another website, and yes, it was the human voice being amplified that drove me away. It really was a short trip, while I can appreciate the current high level of performance in DCI, for what I look for in a Drum Corps show there's more of a balance of excitement and entertainment to be found at DCA these days, but that's neither here nor there and of course just my own personal taste. I've always been more of a music first guy and most of the arrangements in today's DCI have left me flat, more than I can ever remember everyone sounds the same and it seems like a race to who can play the most notes in the fastest amount of time while sprinting around the field, with some exceptions, Phantom Regiment being one. Anyway, I'm thinking of catching up with Phantom and downloading the last three years (that is kind of cool that you can pick and choose off the DCI website) and I'm going to hope that at least I'm safe with Phantom regarding narration, anyone help with a list?

Thankfully it's probably easier to just tell you the ones that have had narration or singing since 2005....I'm sure I'll forget a few, but someone will catch the rest I miss from the Top 12:

Cadets 2005, 2006, 2007

BD 2005, 2006 (one line: "I'll make him an offer he can't refuse")

Crown 2007

Bluecoats 2007

All the other shows have had amplified pit percussion, of course...

Some I think you might like:

Colts 2007

Phantom Regiment 2005, 2006, 2007

Carolina Crown 2005, 2006

Santa Clara Vanguard 2005

Give corpsreps.com a look for repertoires...

Hope this helps! :worthy:

Which corps have not....? The GOOD corps!!! :worthy:

Thankfully it's probably easier to just tell you the ones that have had narration or singing since 2005....I'm sure I'll forget a few, but someone will catch the rest I miss from the Top 12:

Cadets 2005, 2006, 2007

BD 2005, 2006 (one line: "I'll make him an offer he can't refuse")

Crown 2007

Bluecoats 2007

All the other shows have had amplified pit percussion, of course...

Some I think you might like:

Colts 2007

Phantom Regiment 2005, 2006, 2007

Carolina Crown 2005, 2006

Santa Clara Vanguard 2005

Give corpsreps.com a look for repertoires...

Hope this helps! :tic:

Thank you my friend, exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Just can't go wrong with Phantom :worthy: , can't wait to hear 'em, especially after your recommendation. You know, pits being amped never bothered me much, I found it a bit intrusive and quite honestly unnecessary, but I draw the line with you-know-what. For the record my two favorite shows from '03 & '04 were Phantom and SCV respectively, I'd go as far to say as two of the best I've ever heard for my tastes, certainly the nicest version of "Scheherazade" I've ever heard from a Corps. Wasn't '05 "Russian Christmas Music"? I think I heard an early version that year off their website and was impressed, thinking I can't go wrong there. Did they take a turn away from, for lack of a better term, a "traditional" musical approach and return to a more esoteric style in '06 - '07?

Well, yes and no....SCV 2006 was all original music from Key Poulan, the show was called "Moto Perpetuo". It leans a little more towards the modern side, and while the drill is fun, the music really left me kind of flat.

2007 was more or less a return to the 1997-2003 "modern, angry" Vanguard programming, as is 2008's repertiore.

I figured since your taste seems to be a little more towards the traditional side of things, they might not be your cup of tea.

Not that 06-07 SCV aren't good shows overall, though... :thumbup:

I'm a big fan of SCV. But I really prefer when they play the classics (Russian Christmas music, On the Town, Appalachian Springs, etc...). Not that I wish for the old days.... it's just they play them SO WELL.

Isn't that a little strange? I see SCV as playing classical americana, Phantom as playing tchaikovsky and Gershwin (I love you Spartacus!), and Garfield as Bernstein.

While the Blue Devils are a Jazz monster, Spirit of Atlanta is bluesy Southern, and the Cavaliers as the "modern new stuff" approach.

I guess I'm just used to knowing a corps by its sound. Pity that difference has also diminished so much.

Edited by apoch003