colors on the football field...

Will

In thinking about the fall season, I'm wondering if there are colors I should completely avoid outdoors?? I've used green before and thought it was great, though many of my friends told me not to....

are pinks/purples good on the field?

what about brown?

any thoughts, comments, advice are appreciated!

P.S. I am doing a flight show for one of my schools... any thoughts on that would be great too!

sorry to interrupt, but i recently posted a photo of a grass field, sunny day, on another forum...there may be changes of colour when cloudy or under evening lights...just recycling photos were apppropriate...hope you don't mind...scroll to post #389

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...6263&st=380

Edit: I posted 3 more field photos, #398, #399, #400. That's all I have for now. Thanks for letting me share my photos.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...6263&st=390

Edited by lindap

I think something you also have to take into consideration is the uniform color of the guard and the band. Our band uniforms are red and black, so sometimes red flags don't show up as well depending on where we are staged.

I've used just about all colors on the field, and they all look equally nice. Obviously some are brighter, and for a loud tune I prefer those loud colors like bright pink, yellow, white, red, bright green. . . for the more subdued or soft musical tones, I like blue, purple, pastels. . .

But, it's all personal preference. Other directors may have different ideas.

Hi! I'm also in the process of designing my outdoor show so hopefully my personal color "philosophies" will come in handy...

I take the color of the band uniforms into consideration, along with the time of day that most of your shows will take place and common field conditions. My band's uniforms are blue tops and white bottoms, so I try to avoid those colors so the guard won't blend. I made the uniforms BRIGHT last season with orange, yellow, and red. Up close, the guard looked like road cones but they looked amazing on the field!

The other seasons I worked with the guard (but didn't design), they wore brown (year 1) and dark purple (year 2)... They just blended too much. I like the guard to POP!

Now, if your guard does ground work and they're on real grass, maybe darker is the way to go. Grass stains are horrible to get out of most fabrics that are commonly used for guard uniforms.

In general, reds/yellows/oranges look nice... I love the lighter shades of green (mint/lime/pastel green) but tend to stay away from the kelly/hunter shades... Now getting into the teals is also a fun way to go. I like purples and blues too. I tend to be wary of pink- the shows that my band does doesn't usually call for pink, but it can be a fun and exciting way to go if used properly. I would use the salmons/orange-pinks in a heart beat. I'm also a HUGE fan of color fading! Brown isn't bad, but I use it more of an accent. The "brown" season, the guard looked like teddy bears or chocolate bars- depending on the term of the week... LOL!

Hope my .02 helps!

PS- OH! The "brown" season... That show was about flight too. Their uniforms were made to look like old pilot jumpsuits with leather caps and goggles. So, in photos, they looked like teddy bears! I don't suggest it :unsure:

If you like, you can PM me and I'll tell you more...

Pink and purple (with silver trim) worked well for me. Of course, this was going back to the early '80s.

Can't comment on brown, except that I think you might run into problems with lack of contrast if your guard is on a field that's undergone drought conditions and hasn't been watered. Or, the reverse, a muddy field.

Edited by byline

Honestly, I think a lot of is going to hinge on where you want to take your concept. Is the show about Flight as in Aviation? Flight in terms of Migration? Flight of the Bumblebees ;-) Fight or Flight? hehehe....you know me Will, I color outside the lines, so I'm looking at it from all angles.

As for the colors, take into account your environment and band unis. First thought...play of the colors of the sky...most of them are going to pop on the field anyway. . .sunset, sunrise colors and shades of blue....you can go wrong with a beautiful yellow silk either. As for unis. . .I think the theme will play more of a role in this, but just about anything will look good if it doesn't blend with the field/environment/band uniform or clash with said variables.

In thinking about the fall season, I'm wondering if there are colors I should completely avoid outdoors?? I've used green before and thought it was great, though many of my friends told me not to....

are pinks/purples good on the field?

what about brown?

any thoughts, comments, advice are appreciated!

P.S. I am doing a flight show for one of my schools... any thoughts on that would be great too!

I personally think any color can be used. There are no rules....

As it has been stated, you must consider band unis, guard unis, the theme, when and what time your championships are...all are combined to help portray your program and elicit the emotion you want.

But also consider texture in choosing the color. Lames, iridescent, lace for example all add a different component to the flag and can give you completely different looks.

Plus shape, length and material of the pole...a thin PVC pipe can give you a really unique look to your flight show (look up Magic of Orlando in '96).

that's my two cents... :unsure:

Thanks guys!!

our flight show is more abstract... we are playing on "visions of the heavens" as a theme. i'm thinking of putting the girls into creams/whites/peach shades... FJM has a uni i LOVE that Kennesaw Mountain wore a few years ago.. very light, airy costumes.. I think i'm mostly have a tough time coming up with actual flag designs.. I have a "wind" flag already, but i'm at a loss for others... maybe it will be a solid flag year HAHA

Thanks guys!!

our flight show is more abstract... we are playing on "visions of the heavens" as a theme. i'm thinking of putting the girls into creams/whites/peach shades... FJM has a uni i LOVE that Kennesaw Mountain wore a few years ago.. very light, airy costumes.. I think i'm mostly have a tough time coming up with actual flag designs.. I have a "wind" flag already, but i'm at a loss for others... maybe it will be a solid flag year HAHA

Solid flags work, give each girl a different shade or hue of a particualr color. Say all sorts of lavenders, lilacs etc...really easy and cheaper to do. Or have all the flags have a portion that is the same...and then add the different shades to that. :unsure:

Use whatever color fits the show. Sometimes it's good to use colors that blend into the band or guard's uniforms, if the guard isn't very strong in terms of timing...

It's all about portraying what you think makes the most sense with your guard and your show concept.