Drum Corps and the Kennedy Funeral, Nov. 24, 1963

Gosh, this is an amazing picture.

And the video was hard to watch. I was only 5 at the time, so I have just vague memories of seeing the funeral coverage on TV. Yet it still breaks my heart, I guess because the raw emotions are captured so vividly.

I was 7 at the time. About all I remember was watching the funeral on our old B&W Zenith TV, crouched on the living room floor.

Its interesting how a simple rudimental cadence conveys deep emotional content, as noted by Markdewine's "step-mother telling [him] to stop [playing it], because hearing it made her sad." The old saying "less is more" applies in this case. The apt statements from LancerLegend and Puppet on drum corps comradery points to the civic, or communal, role that drum corps had "back in the day," locally and nationally. I found it fascinating that one of the prominent drum judges from the 70s, as well as the other rudi drummers mentioned, participated in a historic event of national proportions. Its pretty humbling.

I was 7 at the time. About all I remember was watching the funeral on our old B&W Zenith TV, crouched on the living room floor.

Its interesting how a simple rudimental cadence conveys deep emotional content, as noted by Markdewine's "step-mother telling [him] to stop [playing it], because hearing it made her sad." The old saying "less is more" applies in this case. The apt statements from LancerLegend and Puppet on drum corps comradery points to the civic, or communal, role that drum corps had "back in the day," locally and nationally. I found it fascinating that one of the prominent drum judges from the 70s, as well as the other rudi drummers mentioned, participated in a historic event of national proportions. Its pretty humbling.

To all the above I say this: I was in my 8th grade Social Studies class that day JFK was gunned down. I was never able to watch any of the replays, the funeral or any of it. My Mom was a JAG lawyer for the Army, my Dad was in the State Department - they were devastated!

I can only give my highest regard to those who have posted on this thread. It is a testament to the depth of feelings that can be generated by a group who's collective spirit, intelligence and souls have been molded by an activity that is largely still unseen and at best on the periphery of most American's consciousness. That makes us all the more special to me.

I am proud to have found this forum and as long as I am able will find it a pleasure to read and share my historical memories with all of yours.

Thanks and sorry to run on so.

Puppet

My thanks to Dan for creating a very historical thread.

I was in the second grade - parochial school no less. I remember the day like it was yesterday. Since we were in eastern time zone, the news travelled almost at the same time we were getting out of school. I remember my teacher (Sister Mary Bennett) got a phone call and started crying - she told us we were dismissed from school because the President of the United States had been shot. I remember the class was very somber - and one classmate - Donna Rock - starting giggling a little - you know how some people laugh when faced with tragic news - well, we were so consumed with the Soviet Union and Communism that some kids called her a Communist.

Consider that JFK was born in Brookline, MA - adjacent to Boston. His Mom was an Irish Catholic from South Boston. Massachusetts LOVES the Kennedy family. The Catholic Church talked about JFK as if he were a present day Jesus Christ - maybe even God himself. This is no exageration. Everything the President was scrutinzed by the nuns - he was perfect.

I remember every adult talking about JFK. Back then, kids were to be seen and not heard. We just kind of listened. I remember my family was sitting in our den, watching our huge black and white television, and the transfer of Lee Harvey Oswald in the police station tunnel - when out of the crowd Jack Ruby shot him at point blank range. My father jumped off the couch pointing almost as he saw Ruby leaning forward.

As young as I was - 7 - I remember vivid details. We used to get Life Magazine - an oversized weekly - very similar to People Magazine but a large format like the Sunday Parade Magazine. The issues covered the tragedy for weeks after.

As I grew up, I think every family I knew in Boston, had a color portrait of JFK in their living room. I know my family did.

We'll never know what JFK might have been able to do - but while he was our President, America seemed to be in good shape, with optimism and enthusiasm.

Little did I know that 10 years later, I would have a chance to join that unit while in the Army..The Old Guard. I turned them down..I wanted to keep my hair, and I liked the post where I was stationed.

Pat

Wow, Pat...that's quite an honor! And you turned them DOWN?! :ninja:

Looking back on it, are you sorry you did? If you could go back and do it again, would you accept?

Just curious. No condemnation or anything...just wanna know.

As my ol' buddy Guerno started this thread I thought I'd chime in.

I went to St. Patrick's grade school and remember JFK being treated and spoken of more of a Saint than a President.

I was in first grade during the inauguration and remember watching the first Catholic President being sworn into office.

I was in 4th grade when JFK was assassinated, there was an announcement over the intercom and we were told to

kneel down and we prayed the rosary. We were let out of school early and I remember when I went home my grandmother

was staying with us at the time and she had all 5 of us kids kneel down and say the rosary.

I just remember a gloom over the entire country (at least in my little world) for a long time.

And I will never forget the funeral and that eerie drum beat.

Since its beginning, the USAF D&BC had a pipe section/band that would perform with it (using the "rudimental" drummers from the corps - John Flowers, John Bosworth, Dave Woodford among others). During Kennedy's funeral, the family requested that the Pipe Band play "Mist Covered Mountains," an old Irish tune, at the graveside ceremonies. The following year when the drum corps was disbanded, the pipe band, a White House favorite, became an independent unit of the USAF Band at Bolling AFB with Bosworth as lead drum. This band's reputation in the international piping world equalled that of the corps here in the US. The band was very innovative; combining corps style rudimental drumming with the more traditional Gaelic style was one of the band's trademarks and greatly influenced drumming in both arenas. It was disbanded by the Nixon admin in May, 1970.

And, for us old-timers... who DOESN'T remember where we were, what we were doing when this tragedy occurred?!

(Moi? ...in 7th period class in 10th grade.)

SKY

Edited by sky
  • Like 1

I agree with both Jim and Mark. I'm older than you guys and can remember in great detail where I was and what I was doing when the word reached our office. Even the smallest details are vivid.

That the Warren Commission Report is flawed is almost a given to a majority of Americans. That there was a conspiracy is a probability in my opinion. Arlen Specter has never given me one thread of proof otherwise.

Tragedies have that effect on the conscious as well as subconscious minds and we will remember those events like they happened yesterday. Much like Jack Ruby's assassination of Oswald before the eyes of millions of TV viewers.

Ah the consipracy pundits. I was one for years until I really read the reports, worked at the Kennedy Library, and watched several documentaries and was finally convinced that Oswald acted alone. That the sad truth is it is all possible, (go to Dealy plaza and see how close the window is to the locale and it is a set up that most deer hunters pray for).

And please, keep in mind, that I am one of those Massachetts sons who, as LancerLengend details, lived in a home with the Kennedy photo, whose mother named me after JFK, (she was like all Massachusetts women, openly in love with the man), who got a degree in Poli Sci because of my belief in JFK's approach to politics, and yes, gave tours at the Kennedy Library, even listening to white house tapes, blah, blah, blah; my devotion was obssesive I admit. But the most recent documentary seen on the Learning Channel uses computer graphics of 22 Nov motorcade, aligns it all with the Zapruder film for time and place of events and does a convincing job to verify the single bullet theory, so well, in fact, it leaves little doubt. I encourage everyone to see it. It is as compelling an argument as I have ever heard/seen. And I have heard all the theories since I own most books writen on the subject.

As for the day, I remember it well. The tears, the questions, the doubts. I even wondered for years if they could have saved JFK until I saw a good version of the Zapruder film and realized he was dead imediately after the second bullet struck him. I promise for those who have not seen it there is no doubt at all.

But he was a unique man, given an opportunity to serve at a time he could do great things. He was much like Senator Obama in his optimism and eloquence, yet it was balanced with his Naval service in the South Pacific, his Harvard eduction in political science, and his commitment to public service. (His college honors thesis was evetually published after he graduated and sold so well he was a minor celebrity author. The topic was England's ambivalence to act upon Germanany's agressive build up in the 30's and how it cost them dearly in WWII). He was the right man for the job and believed so much in the American political process he hoped to become a newspaper publisher once he left the presidency since "freedom of the press" was in his mind, tantamount to the success of democracy.

And he was Irish. I mean, how good is that?

Edited by O.P.

Ah the consipracy pundits. I was one for years until I really read the reports, worked at the Kennedy Library, and watched several documentaries and was finally convinced that Oswald acted alone. That the sad truth is it is all possible, (go to Dealy plaza and see how close the window is to the local and it is a set up that most deer hunters pray for).

I agree as well--Oswald alone. In his book, "Case Closed: Lee Harvey Oswald and the Assassination of JFK" (2003), Gerald Posner convincingly shows that Oswald was the lone gunman, based on close analysis of the Zapruder film (seating positions, body angles of JFK and Connley) and the so-called "magic bullet." Posner was interviewed for the program that used computer analysis that you mentioned. In addition to demonstrating that there was nothing "mysterious" about Oswald's background and motivation, Posner also exposes the hypocrisy of Jim Garrison and the "conspiracy industry." He brings common sense and sound reasoning to his study, penetrating through the superstitious fog. Its is a MUST read for those interested in the JFK assassination.

Ok, back on topic.

Hey Dan,

Thanks - VERY MUCH - for starting the topic and also for the later link.

I checked that one out and found a few seconds of the USAF Pipe Band in part 3, playing - of all things - Mist Covered Mountains!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6r9aKGmAQ4...feature=related

The band wore several uniforms, including dress blues, formal mess dress and the full traditional uniform. The Mitchell tartan honored Billy Mitchell, father of the AF, and was approved in Scotland for use only by the USAF band. I've sent the link on to some of those that were there.

Best,

SKY

Edited by sky

Hey Dan,

Thanks - VERY MUCH - for starting the topic and also for the later link.

I checked that one out and found a few seconds of the USAF Pipe Band in part 3, playing - of all things - Mist Covered Mountains!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6r9aKGmAQ4...feature=related

The band wore several uniforms, including dress blues, formal mess dress and the full traditional uniform. The Mitchell tartan honored Billy Mitchell, father of the AF, was approved in Scotland for use only by the USAF band. I've sent the link on to some of those that were there.

Best,

SKY

Sky,

Your welcome. Thanks for the additonal info. I came across an internet source, "The 11th Wing and the Kennedy Funeral," that goes into great detail on the various people involved the corps and pipe band, including Rodney Goodheart. You can find it at, www.jvmusic.net/11thWingKennedyFuneral.html

All the Best,

Dan