Why did WGI get rid of them?

quegrawks

Correct, but if the cadet, novice, regional a, senior guards were still part of the mix, that would still mean less A, open and World participating units and those are the ones potentially going to Dayton (or where ever finals may be) and need to attend a regional. I understand your point, though.

I see where you're coming from as well. Given the current situation with the limit on the number of units attending a regional, yes, more units that are Dayton eligible can attend a regional with the elimination of these classes. If the limit was eliminated, however, you could bring the non-Dayton classes back and there would be essentially no change. No Dayton-eligible unit would be denied a spot then because of units in non-Dayton classes.

I do understand why they have a limit on the number of units attending a regional. However, I'd like to see them raised to an extent. Look at this year's Mid-Atlantic regional. It was a power regional, which I had read somewhere was supposed to contain 90 units. However, they cut off registration when it reached 70 units. Why?

Mike, PM me and I'll talk to you all the live-long day about my feelings on this subject. They never did have the senior class at Dayton, only at the regionals. As you may or may not know, the Mid-Atlantic regional used to have three senior guards show up. It was a great opportunity to compete against other senior guards, make some new acquaintances, score some cheap bragging rights. When we had to go in world class, we just hoped not to embarrass ourselves.

I'll guess that one of the reasons may be that most local circuits do not have a senior class. Even when you have a local circuit that offers a senior class, they may differ as to what sheets to judge them on. TIA and AIA use the open class sheets. North East circuit uses A class sheets. I don't know what Mid-West used when Back N Sync was around.

The Mid-West circuit now has Venice Effect Senior Guard competing in the Senior Division. The circuit uses the Independent World sheets when judging Senior Division. (I believe this is a change from prior years in the circuit). The reasoning is that if the guard does want to go to any WGI contests they would defined as an Independent World Guard; and therefore would be prepared for the scores given at the WGI event.

The Mid-West circuit now has Venice Effect Senior Guard competing in the Senior Division. The circuit uses the Independent World sheets when judging Senior Division. (I believe this is a change from prior years in the circuit). The reasoning is that if the guard does want to go to any WGI contests they would defined as an Independent World Guard; and therefore would be prepared for the scores given at the WGI event.

World class, huh? That's good to keep in mind. Thanks for the info.

Why did they make the change to World sheets? The Senior class in the MidWest Circuit used to be Open sheets. I guess I don't understand why a local circuit would use the world sheets when most senior units do not match that criteria.

Edited by ItsOnTheField

this topic reminds me of tennesee williams "cat on a hot tin roof".........

big daddy:what the heck were you doing out there jumping hurdles at three in the morning?

brick pollitt:because people like doing what they used to do,even after they've stopped being able to do it.

:thumbup:

World class, huh? That's good to keep in mind. Thanks for the info.

Same in Florida and Texas. Sr. Guards are judged on world class sheets. Because of their ages, they are considered to be world class units. However, local circuits have the option of creating sheets for middle school/cadet/novice/regional a guards, and I know at least one circuit that uses "Senior Class" sheets to judge senior guards. It's all rather confusing.

Also, WGI states (or did although apparently there's some discrepancy now) that whatever class you would compete in your local circuit is the class you compete in for WGI-- thus if you are a "senior" guard in your local circuit, which uses WGI sheets, then you need to be judged world class in WGI and in the local circuit because WGI does not have a "SR" class distinction. There's another thread with questions similar to these, since some independent and scholastic open guards switched to A class at WGI regionals this year.

Edited by quegrawks