Age-Out year

I think it would be extremely rare that people would stay physically fit enough to march in modern DCI shows well past the age of 21. Somebody mentioned in an earlier post that we'd have a bunch of middle aged people in DCI, but I just don't think that's realistic.

There are a lot of people in the professional world who are more physically fit than 21 year olds (our #1 guy for the Olympic marthon is 25 years old). If corps were to establish a fitness program that had physical trainers for the older members. Oops, I just gave George another idea. :ph34r:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of people in the professional world who are more physically fit than 21 year olds (our #1 guy for the Olympic marthon is 25 years old). If corps were to establish a fitness program that had physical trainers for the older members. Oops, I just gave George another idea. :ph34r:

Nobody is ever going to go to that much trouble to bring older members in. The whole idea in DCI is younger, faster, healthier, and WHEN I SAY JUMP YOU SAY HOW HIGH?

I think several members would end up quitting around 21, 22 anyways. After several years of marching it feels like it's time to move on into another phase of the life.. such as career. Sort of echoing the "hippie" statement i believe that it is another possibility, but with rising corps fees i don't see it being a problem.

Age them out, and help them get to that next chapter in their lives.

Nobody is ever going to go to that much trouble to bring older members in. The whole idea in DCI is younger, faster, healthier, and WHEN I SAY "JUMP" YOU SAY "HOW HIGH?"

LOL, good answer. Just the costs of having older members would case fees to go up. We're already complaining about them where they are at now.

Keep the age-out rule. I agree with the many reasons given already. Not to mention it would be the end of one of Vanguard's founding traditions. So no thanks.

Keep the age-out rule. I agree with the many reasons given already. Not to mention it would be the end of one of Vanguard's founding traditions. So no thanks.

Hey now, don't pull the tradition card! You know that doesn't hold any water these days! :ph34r:

Hey now, don't pull the tradition card! You know that doesn't hold any water these days! :ph34r:

How 'bout the money card. No age outs = fewer members passing through = fewer alumni = fewer rabid fans that have personal connections to corps (assuming the number of corps would not increase/decline at a slower rate).

Edited by Legalhack

Remember that there was a proposal to allow for an extra season of eligibility for those whose birthday comes prior to June 1 in the calendar year in which they turn 22. I was in one of the caucuses at the DCI Annual Meeting in January and the instructors were overwhelmingly opposed to it and refused to send it on to the Board of Directors for a vote. I was told the same thing happened in all three captions.

As for any comparison to WGI, that's only for one of the six guard classes, the Independent World Class. It does not apply to any of the WGI Indoor Marching Percussion classes. A case could be made that there is no senior or all-age winter guard circuit.

Keep the age out. If they take away the age-out limit, that puts a big restriction on the number of new, young recruits that drum corps get (which makes my chances of marching worse). It'd be too easy for a corps that wins gold one year to just keep the same people the next, and the next, and the next...

Exactly my view!

It seems we are already precariously close to the oft-mentioned mega corps scenario, in which but a few wealthy corps with fully professional staffs and ranks filled with only top-flight musicians are the norm. Removing age-out restrictions would bring us even closer to that day of "professional" drum corps, in my opinion.

Does the Illuminati control these "groups"