Starting an Independent Guard "Family"

quegrawks

I really miss spinning, and i can't afford (financially or otherwise) to take the time to drive 3+ hours away for an independent World guard.

I've been contemplating the idea of starting an Independent Guard "Family" with the help of some other people. I'd like it to encompass a "Senior Guard" (23+ year olds), and an A or RA guard to begin with. Lots of colleges in this area (University of TX, community college, St. Edwards, and two or three others within an hour from here) from which to draw potential A guard members. There are also tons of schools in the area with "older" instructional staff who might enjoy being a part of the 'senior guard', and I know the kids they teach always enjoy watching their instructors perform-- especially when they mess up :-)

Anyway, I only know of one other organization with this kind of setup-- so I was wondering how difficult it may be to get off the ground? I'm not a known personality in the colorguard world in this area-- not yet anyway (! ! !), and I don't know anyone near here who is either--not well enough to draw people in based on name alone, in any case. However, I'm pretty sure I can secure a practice facility or facilities fairly easily, which is one of the most difficult parts, and I know how to go about getting insurance, etc. for a pretty low price.

So, basically, what steps would be best to take to get people interested in coming to check out a new organization like this?

Another problem, however is knowing that my time in this area is probably limited to about 3 years-- would that be enough time to build a program that someone else might be willing to take over and continue? Would it even be worth starting knowing that I'd be leaving? Although I've worked with independent guards, I was usually brought in after the guard had been established somewhat, and haven't ever been in on the ground floor-- although I've tried starting Scholastic winter programs at some schools, but was met with a lot of resistance from school administration. I'm sure there won't be that same issue with an Independent group.

I'll stop babbling here for a moment and see what kind of responses come through.

Mike if you're down here in South-Central TX. You're on! Otherwise, I'd have to invest in car powered by refried beans and tortillas.

Yeah. Austin area.

Ick. San Antonio is so much better... ;)

Message me and we'll toss ideas around.

Good luck trying to find a decent place to rehearse.......

hey mike! we've had this discussion up here in pa w/ the classics organization. we actually started recruiting. we talk to local instructors that we know.. tell them to watch our a guard.. and ask them to send graduates our way if they are going to college locally. it seems like it is starting to work. for starting a new guard... i think i would ask around to the staffs at local shows... ask them to talk to their kids if they are interested in spinning after hs.

we also have the kids do recruiting by word of mouth... u bring a member that makes into uniform... u get a discount on dues. so if u know kids that are interested in it.. tell them to bring friends...

as for "the guard".... u know how we recruit. talk to ur local instructors.. see if they're interested in performing for their kids. it's always a good time in sr guard....

looks like u already have the ideas. just need to put it into motion.. u've been around the organization to see how it works... try it.. u never know what could happen...

oh.. and hand out business cards to propective members!!! that way they know exactly how to get ahold of u.

u might have a rough start.. but u have to remember.. "we all start somewhere"

hey mike! we've had this discussion up here in pa w/ the classics organization. we actually started recruiting. we talk to local instructors that we know.. tell them to watch our a guard.. and ask them to send graduates our way if they are going to college locally. it seems like it is starting to work. for starting a new guard... i think i would ask around to the staffs at local shows... ask them to talk to their kids if they are interested in spinning after hs.

we also have the kids do recruiting by word of mouth... u bring a member that makes into uniform... u get a discount on dues. so if u know kids that are interested in it.. tell them to bring friends...

as for "the guard".... u know how we recruit. talk to ur local instructors.. see if they're interested in performing for their kids. it's always a good time in sr guard....

looks like u already have the ideas. just need to put it into motion.. u've been around the organization to see how it works... try it.. u never know what could happen...

oh.. and hand out business cards to propective members!!! that way they know exactly how to get ahold of u.

u might have a rough start.. but u have to remember.. "we all start somewhere"

Thanks Dave. I didn't think about the business cards, that's a great idea.

Ha Ha! Whenever I hear that quote, I think of Tommy wearing a tshirt of Ed in his Mickey Mouse costume. HA HA HA! You know what I mean, right?

Good luck in Wildwood!

Thanks Dave. I didn't think about the business cards, that's a great idea.

Ha Ha! Whenever I hear that quote, I think of Tommy wearing a tshirt of Ed in his Mickey Mouse costume. HA HA HA! You know what I mean, right?

Good luck in Wildwood!

:tongue:

Oh, the memories...