Question for others who have marched...

I'm really curious to know if others who have marched have gone through the same thing I have gone through. I want to know if anyone else has suffered severe injuries in the way of breaks, specifically stress fracturing, in their feet, ankles, or shins during or after marching.

Last summer was my first summer away from the activity after four years of Div. 1. I worked at an amusement park where I worked an upwards of 75 hours a week (you read right) on concrete, on my feet. I had to go home in the beginning of July after pains in the tops of my feet became unbearable and way out of the norm. I had several stress fractures in the tops of my feet.

Those eventually healed for the most part by the time October/November came around. I worked 35ish hours a week at our local Macy's and had no problems there.

The first week of March, I got a new (and much more lucrative) job as a server at a local outdoor restaurant that's kind of unconventional in the fact that servers sprint to and from customers. About three weeks ago, after a month of running there, I started feeling a lot of pain in both my Achilles tendons and the area surrounding. I expected some pains, just due to the fact that it's an intense job that I came into only moderately in shape. About four days ago, pain, again, became unbearable (worse this time) and I had to go to the doctor to get some x-rays. This time, I have a couple more major breaks in the backs of my ankles.

I know it's likely that both workplaces had a part to play, but I'm willing to bet my time with my corps did as well. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar seemingly unexplained injuries of this type at a young age after marching a season or few.

For now, I'm off to pop some pain killers! :tongue:

I tore my ACL playing flag football after the 2005 season. The May drill camp in '06 was the first physical exercise I did after the injury (except for physical therapy). It was weak for awhile, and I couldn't really walk after the first camp, but I did fine after that. During move-ins my knee still gets sore and every once in awhile it pops a little bit, but I haven't had any serious consequences. Except the sweet scar I have from surgery (and the pictures of the inside of my knee... they're pretty cool).

The injury was probably related to marching a little bit I think. If nothing else, I think the pseudo-sedentary lifestyle I returned to after the season and then the sudden physical exercise for flag football probably didn't help.

Edited by TSRTS13

I'm really curious to know if others who have marched have gone through the same thing I have gone through. I want to know if anyone else has suffered severe injuries in the way of breaks, specifically stress fracturing, in their feet, ankles, or shins during or after marching.

Last summer was my first summer away from the activity after four years of Div. 1. I worked at an amusement park where I worked an upwards of 75 hours a week (you read right) on concrete, on my feet. I had to go home in the beginning of July after pains in the tops of my feet became unbearable and way out of the norm. I had several stress fractures in the tops of my feet.

Those eventually healed for the most part by the time October/November came around. I worked 35ish hours a week at our local Macy's and had no problems there.

The first week of March, I got a new (and much more lucrative) job as a server at a local outdoor restaurant that's kind of unconventional in the fact that servers sprint to and from customers. About three weeks ago, after a month of running there, I started feeling a lot of pain in both my Achilles tendons and the area surrounding. I expected some pains, just due to the fact that it's an intense job that I came into only moderately in shape. About four days ago, pain, again, became unbearable (worse this time) and I had to go to the doctor to get some x-rays. This time, I have a couple more major breaks in the backs of my ankles.

I know it's likely that both workplaces had a part to play, but I'm willing to bet my time with my corps did as well. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar seemingly unexplained injuries of this type at a young age after marching a season or few.

For now, I'm off to pop some pain killers! :thumbs-up:

I have to ask, are you sure you have the correct shoe size? Having the wrong size can really mess your feet up, and just because a shoe fits doesn't mean it's the right size. My suggestion if you're unsure is just to go get it measured at a store or a podiatrist.