Recruitment

cka1022

So, the high school guard I coach is extremely inexperienced. As in, last year when I was hired part way through marching band season, the band director told me their previous instructor "didn't really know how to spin" ..... :wink: Apparently the instructor "had some dance experience" and that was it. How some people become guard instructors baffles me :smile:

I'm basically trying to build the program from the ground up. There were only 4 girls last season, one of whom is graduating. I was just informed that one of the other girls made symphonic band for next year, and the band director has a rule that symphonic band members must be in marching band, and guard doesn't count. (Is that a typical rule? I've never encountered that at any other school....). So that leaves me with 2 girls, which means time for some hard core recruitment!

I have some ideas but I'd be interested to know things that have helped your programs. I figure, get as many suggestions as possible and something's gotta work!

So, the high school guard I coach is extremely inexperienced. As in, last year when I was hired part way through marching band season, the band director told me their previous instructor "didn't really know how to spin" ..... :wink: Apparently the instructor "had some dance experience" and that was it. How some people become guard instructors baffles me :smile:

I'm basically trying to build the program from the ground up. There were only 4 girls last season, one of whom is graduating. I was just informed that one of the other girls made symphonic band for next year, and the band director has a rule that symphonic band members must be in marching band, and guard doesn't count. (Is that a typical rule? I've never encountered that at any other school....). So that leaves me with 2 girls, which means time for some hard core recruitment!

I have some ideas but I'd be interested to know things that have helped your programs. I figure, get as many suggestions as possible and something's gotta work!

I have heard of this rule with other organizations. I don't understand it, because playing during marching band is very different from playing in symphony. Also, wouldn't this girl have a music class during school? Anyway...

The best thing that I've found helps is getting the kids excited about guard and having them talk to their friends. Nothing works like word of mouth!

i had this issue when i was in high school. if we were in concert band we had to be in marching band unless u played football. as for me, i was unable to be in color guard because i played an instrument. the groupings for the circuit were based on number of instrumental performers. not total performers. so, being a musician, i had to stay a musician to count for numbers....

try starting an indoor guard as a club in the high school and middle school... see if u can get more people exposed to it.... like mike said, word of mouth is the best way to start.

Apparently the instructor "had some dance experience" and that was it. How some people become guard instructors baffles me :blink:

Watch "So you think you can Dance" in a few weeks.....you will see the same type of people claiming to be dance teachers and even have thier own studios!

Watch "So you think you can Dance" in a few weeks.....you will see the same type of people claiming to be dance teachers and even have thier own studios!

That's one of the best parts of the auditions!

we have a bunch of girls going to a different school next year, so we are needing a bunch of new people. basically, our instructor went to the incoming school and presented what we do. Shes going to do sorta the same next week with the lower grade. then, we are going to make posters, little flyer and just talk to our friends about it. We had more than 100 people interested in it when she went to the other school, and that from one day.

That seems to be working for us, maybe you could try it.

I'm feeling really down. I've had 9 people show up for auditions this year. I do not teach at the school, nor do I have access to the middle school or any non-band students. I had flyers made up, told the girls to spread the word about auditions, and asked about using videos for the announcements, setting up tables at the middle school and high school and never received word one way or the other about it!! I was just told that some flyers (how many, I have no idea) were put up at both schools.

I am extremely frustrated. This is my lowest turnout since I taught in PA at a school in the middle of the woods and had 12 kids show up for guard auditions for a band with 80 winds and 12 battery and 8 in the pit... I'm wondering if it's worth it at this point...

Especially since the band directors are insisting that we have at least 20 kids in the guard!? I'm not even at half that number!

I'm feeling really down. I've had 9 people show up for auditions this year. I do not teach at the school, nor do I have access to the middle school or any non-band students. I had flyers made up, told the girls to spread the word about auditions, and asked about using videos for the announcements, setting up tables at the middle school and high school and never received word one way or the other about it!! I was just told that some flyers (how many, I have no idea) were put up at both schools.

I am extremely frustrated. This is my lowest turnout since I taught in PA at a school in the middle of the woods and had 12 kids show up for guard auditions for a band with 80 winds and 12 battery and 8 in the pit... I'm wondering if it's worth it at this point...

Especially since the band directors are insisting that we have at least 20 kids in the guard!? I'm not even at half that number!

I've been there and back already this season. I had about 6 new kids show up the first day, and I was crushed. I think that if you don't have access to the things you want and need, then the band director needs to help you out. He/She is your access and should provide what you need. It may be your guard, but its the director's band program.

Now to the original post, do a demonstration at the schools. Ask the gym teachers if you can go into the class and do a demo. Take some flags with you and have them try it. Bring videos of DCI. Make a webpage or myspace for your guard. Do all you can to get the announcement out. Make sure your fliers are interesting. I posted photographs on mine with funny catch phrases and had them photocopied on bright paper. I did announcements and had "bring a friend" day. Catina Anderson discusses more at her website colorguardeducators.com.

I've been there... The questioning of "is x kids worth it?!"... I talked to my band director and asked him what he thought. He luckily understood and is on board with however many QUALITY kids we pick up. I'm in the process of rebuilding from the ground up as well, so if its 5 or if its 12, we'll take it!

So, I suggest just keeping things in perspective and keeping it positive. I think all educators ask "is it worth it" but where would we be if they all gave up? Stick to your guns! Good luck!

I have 4 in the guard this fall - 3 veterans and 1 new girl (she was in winter guard). 1 vet didn't want to come back because she knew she wouldn't commit and the one new girl we had didn't audition because she couldn't do the toss she had learned the day before.

BUT - the 4 we have a dedicated, super talented and should be amazing. As I always say, quality over quantity (even though I would love to have 12 +).

I have 4 in the guard this fall - 3 veterans and 1 new girl (she was in winter guard). 1 vet didn't want to come back because she knew she wouldn't commit and the one new girl we had didn't audition because she couldn't do the toss she had learned the day before.

BUT - the 4 we have a dedicated, super talented and should be amazing. As I always say, quality over quantity (even though I would love to have 12 +).

3 of mine got super frustrated yesterday trying to learn a 24 count rifle routine (no tosses), and one of them told me she wouldn't be back. I talked to her about frustration and not giving up just because something isn't easy. Then I gave all three girls' phone numbers to my officer candidates and told them to call them to try to reduce the frustration. I'll find out tonight if it worked...