Shriners Numbers Shrinking

No, that's no longer true. That was changed a few years ago, as the York and Scottish Rite bodies felt that a lot of folks were joining them just to become Shriners, and the Shrine wanted to encourage a broader membership. I don't know about the York Rite (although I'm both a York and Scottish Rite Mason, I'm only active in the Scottish Rite), but the Scottish Rite would rather have active members than just "card holders" who join just to party with the Shriners ... We have a very different focus.

Wow. Was not even aware of this major change, which sort of cheapens the whole experience. When I went through, you still had the memory work, although most of the smaller or weaker membership Blue lodges had dropped the requirement, which also seemed to cheapen the experience. It is a different man joining the lodges of today. All to increase dues card numbers.

... All to increase dues card numbers.

I disagree, although this isn't really the forum to go in to it.

In the long run, becoming a Mason is like a building a house ... A good Mason needs to be raised on a strong foundation, to be built upon with steady work. That hasn't changed at all.

Edited by DCIHasBeen

I disagree, although this isn't really the forum to go in to it.

In the long run, becoming a Mason is like a building a house ... A good Mason needs to be raised on a strong foundation, to be built upon with steady work. That hasn't changed at all.

Very true. But then again, anything worth doing is worth doing right! See you on the field this summer!

See you on the field this summer!

Only if you're planning on traveling from East to West again. :tongue: Have fun with the CBA! :tongue:

Edited by DCIHasBeen

Only if you're planning on traveling from East to West again. :worthy: Have fun with the CBA! :tongue:

I have travelled from East to West and Back Again. :tongue:

My alumni corps was not able to get it together, so this is why I am where I am, and having a blast!

Okay, here's some good news ... Like I was saying, Freemasonry, including the Shriners is seeing an upswing, as indicated in this article from the L.A. Times:

Freemasons in midst of popularity, membership boom.

One of the brothers mentioned in the Article, Zulu, is a member of my home Lodge.

• 4 weeks later...

update from texas shrine corps:

The Texas shrine Drumcorps Assoiation just completed their Texas Shrine Association anual convention and competition in San Antonio tx. This year we had 5 competitng corps from Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and Amarillo. We had both a SS and MM comeptition as well as a parade.

Hella shriners reapeated as the state MM champion for the 20th time in a row . Khiva shriners from Amarillo won the SS competition.

All joined for a bally hoo at the radison in san antonio that would of made "Ray Stevens" proud - haha.

For all that follow the history of the k-90 thread. The original skyryder contras are still on the field being played by the Ben Hur Shrine out of austin.

And if anyone has any interest , I believe every shrine corps still has a few open spots.

Craig Zlatnik

Arabia Shriners

Houston TX