sabre's outside?

dugg

i say get ride of those teensy tiny little sabres outside,you can't read them past row 47 and they are so small and miniscule they hardly show up on a dvd other than an occasional glint of light bouncing off the blade or a fleeting close-up. :blink:

why do designers insist on using this diminutive apperatus when the effect they create is so inconsequential? :blink:

Edited by dugg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i say get ride of those teeny tiny little sabres outside,so small and miniscule they hardly show up on a dvd other than an occasional glint of light bouncing off the blade or a fleeting close-up. :blink:

why do designers insist on using this diminutive apperatus when the effect they create is so inconsequential? :blink:

I don't know about drum corps, but I use them during marching band season to help train for winter guard when I'm working with a school, and when you see them live under the lights, they can make quite a visual impact.

For sabres, I say the bigger the better. I'd use 42" blades if I could find them, but I settle for the 39" that most places sell. And I always go white - sure the shiney look is nice, but white is best when you're outdoors.

Speaking strictly for myself, fall is all about training for winter. I'm not terribly concerned about creating effect or impact. I just want to beat them up all fall so they can spin by winter. I would NOT want to start the winter season with a sabre line that hadn't spun in 7 months!

guard judges do give ton's of credit for sabre i know,and three elements layered together does create a fuller range of expression i suppose......i guess staging them correctly is paramount....... :blink:

Edited by dugg

Staging is big factor. putting the sabres in the back or on the side just ruins it..

Staging is big factor. putting the sabres in the back or on the side just ruins it..

I have to disagree with this. Generally speaking, yes if they are KEPT in the back of the field it ruins it, but bringing them in from the back, or having them travel around the band/corps can be very interesting visually.

Speaking strictly for myself, fall is all about training for winter. I'm not terribly concerned about creating effect or impact. I just want to beat them up all fall so they can spin by winter. I would NOT want to start the winter season with a sabre line that hadn't spun in 7 months!

I am a band director that is also heavily involved in and appreciates the winter guard activity. I have worked with many independant and scholastic winter guard programs.

That said, I can tell you that the statement above is why many band directors have little respect for winter programs. This is not a chicken-egg situation. At some point a band director who has little respect for winter guard could trace back that lack of respect to a guard instructor with this attitude. The training for winter I can accept but to not be "concerned about creating effect or impact" is unacceptable. That is the purpose of having the guard on the field. They are the visual interpretation of the music being presented.

If I somehow ended up with an instructor that displayed this attitude, I can guarantee they would be fired on the spot.

Sorry for going off and going off topic here, but having a love of both the marching band and winter guard programs and knowing how one benefits the other, I really do not appreciate this attitiude.

As for the original topic, as someone else said, having sabres on the field can help the score. You are presenting another dimension to your performance and showing more depth to your abilities. It also gives the performers the opportunity to keep practicing the skills that will be needed come winter guard season. For a long time I did not like sabres on the field and there are still times I question their use. This is usually caused by poor staging of the guard when they are using sabres. It gives the apperance that the show designer and guard staff were not on the same page when designing the staging of the show.

Bottom line:

If the staging is done properly, I think that sabres can be used very effectively. They may be small visually, but they can portray many emotions in the music. As for being seen on the field, that can be compensated for by taping them white or, if it fits the show, in one of many bright colors.

:blink:

This is the type of attitude that makes the guard activity look bad. BOTH seasons are as important as the other! Training is an ongoing process anyway.