Can a person make a living being a Guard Designer?

i beleive i've asked this before however,who should own the rights to and profit from a designers intellectual property?

wgi?the designer?the high school?the drum corps?the band boosters?the performers?my aunt sally?

:dozingoff:

Edited by dugg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The designer/choreographer owns the intellectual property until he/she sells it to another, then it belongs to that group, organization, individual, etc.

By participating in its events, the owner permits WGI (etc) to reproduce said property but it does not belong to WGI (who sells the performance [display of art], not the work of art itself).

As I understand it.

I agree a union would lead to more problems than it solves. What do you think of a professional association?

i like it!

this could be a unique opportunity for designers to come together and share concerns and ideas.think of it as a salon/collective or color guard kibbutz :doh: keeping it totally separate and detached from the strict overbearing step-mother that is wgi.

pageantry could benefit from such an association afterall the abstract expressionist in nyc had the cedar tavern! :tongue:

and btw i am aware of at least one IW winter guard program where the techs are paid 10 grand a season!

Edited by dugg

Out here in Cali, I know a number of instructors that make their living doing this activity. A number of them live very comfortably (caption head at multiple schools), others just get by.

It all depends on how much the band program can afford to pay and whether the school kicks any money in as well.

I only tech two guards, but I have a very comfortable day job. So it's not about the money for me, it's about the experience. Heck I don't get a dime from one of the programs (just lots of free food).