Corps Identity

With listening to one of the recent field passes, where some of the top world class corps directors and staff talked about corps identity, I was curious to see what it is like in the open class. Do you feel that each corps in open class has their own distinct identity now adays and their own personal way of connecting to the crowd, or do you feel that open class is starting to meld into on main theme that is being represented through all the corps in competition today?

If you wish to listen to the field pass then here's the Link

I feel that Open Class corps are different then World Class corps, I think it is very difficult for Open Class corps to gain attention because of the old "division 2/3" style, hopefully the change allows for fans to talk about Open Class corps, not just the World Class.

What do you mean by the main theme of World Class? I believe each Open Class corps has their own identity and way of entertaining the crowd, many people just don't know about it yet.

I feel that Open Class corps are different then World Class corps, I think it is very difficult for Open Class corps to gain attention because of the old "division 2/3" style, hopefully the change allows for fans to talk about Open Class corps, not just the World Class.

What do you mean by the main theme of World Class? I believe each Open Class corps has their own identity and way of entertaining the crowd, many people just don't know about it yet.

What is the "old Division II/III style?" How is it any different from what this year's "Open Class" corps will be doing?

A few open class corps have very distinct personalities. Spartan's classic stoicism in uniform has been upheld for more than 50 years, and was the main reason I loved them. Jersey Surf will always be a crowd pleasing powerhouse that embodies showmanship second to none. Several other corps have that kind of air about them that is uniquely theirs, and will continue to expand upon it. So yeah I feel that there is plenty of corps identity in open class. Just pay attention and you will see it. After seven years on the field exclusively in Div. 2/3 I feel I have seen many examples of corps identity that sadly are no longer with us.

Edited by Phirefenix

Hey I agree with you on that point. I do think a lot of the corps in open class have quite a distinct identity, and in truth is one of the reason they servive becuase they draw members that are attracted to that particular identity.

As to the "Main theme of World Class", that is not what I said or asked. I was asking if the shows of open class, in your open, are starting to become similar and follow a main theme in the past couple of years. Whether it be a visual or musical theme.