So how'd your parents treat you while on tour?

My parents went crazy if I didn't call them every single day. But I figured that was something they should get over. I wasn't going to sacrifice time with my fellow corps members or sleep trying to find a place I would get cell phone reception. When I had the time and opportunity, I'd give them a call, but it was definitely not nearly as often as they would have liked.

And on top of that, my mom came on tour with us for more than half the summer, because my dad would not let me go unless she went too, and there was no way I was staying home all summer.

Hooray for over protective parents...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning:

I was first generation drum corps - they didn't understand it at all, but encouraged me to follow 'the dream'. Dad gave me his credit card (I was 20) to buy necessities. (sweet!) No care packages but did get the occasional letter.

Even when I joined Renegades, they were always in the stands being supportive. Proud as can be and always chatting up with the people around them. Afterward, I got to hear about Suzie's parents and Joe's parents and 'did I know Randy from the Troopers?' - their favorite corps in 1981. I just love my folks.

My daughter on the other hand, was 2nd generation and got the full corps treatment although as the years went on (she did 1 year of youth marching band, 8 years of junior corps and 2 years of senior corps), the care packages got skimpier and the letters fewer in between. When she was in the band, I not only went on tour, but joined the Boosters, the Board, wrote the newsletter, and attended almost every rehearsal. Yeah - I was pretty extreme. First year with the A-corps? We were local so we housed kids. One year we had TEN in the tiny apartment. A loaf of bread, gallon of milk, a package of bologna & cheese per day. Fun!

The first year she got so many care packages, she had to request a truce 'cause there wasn't any room on the bus and she started giving away the books, the games, and the artsy things I'd pack. I'd always get the names & birthdays of the kids on her bus to send special treats. Even sewed banners for the age-outs at Championships. When she aged-out, she only got a small handmade sign. :P Her favorite care packages included socks, teryaki beef jerky, and the super-soaker. When I got in for Championship week, I'd attend rehearsals and aways drop by some Gatorade or bags of ice.

Calls were another thing. I was always the panicked parent if I didn't hear from her at least once a week. Thank God cell phones became hip somewhere half way through her junior career. Although she laughed recalling the craziness of everyone trying to get an outlet. One year, a power-strip was on the wish list.

As for money, I used to give envelopes to one of the touring moms. Once a day at breakfast, she'd get an envelope that contained a letter, money, and some little fun thing. That lasted one season. After that, it was mostly coins for laundry day and the occasional Entertainment Weekly mag or Drum Corps World issue.

I saw every local show, went to every Championship, and followed their tour online. It was a fun time - but completely exhausting toward the end.

"Momma Mav"

It was so long ago that cell phones were non-existant. I called my folks via payphone on laundry days. It was the least I could do since they coughed up the dough to send me on tour.

Yes, long before cell phones my brother and I had this thing (I'm sure other's have used this technique) :whip: we would do. We would call collect. If everything was okay at home my parents wouldn't take the call. They knew we were okay, we got our .10 back everyone was happy. If they just wanted to hear from us they would take the call.

Funny thing though, end of tour, I think 1981, we were calling about 5 days early to let them know the time and location had changed for our return home drop off. My brother and I must have called 6 times in a row, begging and pleading for them to take the call so we could tell them about the changes! :thumbdown::whip:

Next year they changed their phone number to include a 1-800 number so we could call them from anywhere, anytime, and we didn't need to play games with the phone company. :whip:

Fast forward 2 1/2 months and I come home from tour to my brand new car that now has OVER 4000 MILES on it!!!!!!! Are you kidding me?!?!?!?!?!?

OUCH to that! :whip: She almost could have been on tour with that kind of mileage!

My parents changed their phone number when I left.... :laughing:

My parents moved while I was on tour and didn't tell me where.

This happened twice.

I found them both times though. :sigh:

My parents moved while I was on tour and didn't tell me where.

This happened twice.

Oh yeah - one summer they used my credit card to pay for their trip to finals

(including finals tickets for the family) - plus other miscellaneous things they

bought over the summer (total of about $1000).

They justified it by saying that they had to take responsibility for paying

my balance on it over the summer so they should be allowed to use it.

Of course, they only paid the minimum amount for the 3 months which amounted

to about $50.

Ok - well I think they probably did eventually pay off most of what they put on it.

But I sure was hot when I came home to find that my $300 balance had ballooned

to over $1000!

My first year, my dad and little sister went to our shows in SoCal, since they were local. The next year, my mom and little sister surprised my in Boston (of all places since they lived in SoCal). They took a Greyhound bus, spent the night in the gym with us then went on touring the east coast. Just local shows in 76, plus my sis had joined the corps. My dad, aunt & uncle, 2 older sisters and their families all drove to Denver for DCI in 77 and my mom went on tour with us. It was a great age our year for me!!!

This is my son's 5th year marching and I am one of those moms that drove him to all of the camps (before he could drive), put him on plane by himself at 16 to go audition, cooked for the corp, fitted and altered uniforms, have gone to every regional within driving or weekend flying distance, gone to every final, and have supported him 100%.

Cell phones are great. I am the one he calls almost every night while out on tour to check scores with me because sometimes I get them before he does, and to tell me how they did that night. The first year he was on tour, his cell phone broke, he couldn't get service and called me halfway through the summer and begged to come home. I told him no, he had to finish what he started and hung up. I didn't hear from him for 2 weeks. I told him never to do that to me again. He now has a blackberry with internet, so I probably won't hear from him most of the summer.

When I go to my first show, which is usually early to mid-July, I always bring little care packages for him and his friends, especially baked goods, cookies, brownies, etc. Last year I had requests for 20 care packages with brownies. I was baking alot before I left. The packages were greatly appreciated.

By the way son, with gas prices the way they are, I am now driving your little truck for the summer. Better gas mileage than mine, but you can still pay for the insurance. Just kidding, I'll pay for the gas. :laughing:

BAC Mom