Woodwind to Brass players

Jeremy Emerson

Which brass instrument did you switch to, to march corps?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Which brass instrument did you switch to, to march corps?

• Trumpet/Soprano
    • Baritone
    • Euphonium
    • Tuba/Contra

I have played flute since 2nd grade but 2 years ago today(exactly) my director decided that he needed tuba players though I wanted to play bari.

Now I am marching contra bass for San Antonio Revolution and maybe in the next few years I can march either SCV, Blue Devils, or Phantom.

It was a hard switch but low brass rocks!!!!!

Let me hit y'all with this one, I was the drumline section leader (center snare) for my high school and was taught how to play contra in one camp. B)

Tony .. was totally with you on this... I was Center Snare at My HS too... But we were horrible... One Weekend at a Camp realizing I couldn't Hack Corps drumming and I was playing Soprano by the end of the weekend! then Changed over to Euph when I actually finally did March Corps!

i myself started with flute since like 5th grade, and in 7th learned oboe. both of these helped me immensely with baritone. The air from flute and the pitch and intonation from oboe...i can lip like no other. lol...i still play both instruments...but during season, i barely play either so i have more time to practice for corps...like i have any extra time outside of corps during season anyway...lol... :huh:

In high school I originally played alto sax. In my sophmore year when I joined the Caballeros I was handed a baritone. Every night I practiced till I got the hang of it. There are a few that I know that were woodwind players converted to baritone players in the line. Myself, Matt, Adam, Kelly..there have been others throughout my 5 years with the corps, all Sax players too!

Saxo for many many years. Learned trombone and tuba. Then I picked up a 2-valve baritone bugle with Allegheny NightStorm. Surprisingly, many of the same basic concepts of making a good sound are interchangable between instruments. Relaxed muscles, strong and focused air stream, and "voicing" as saxos call it (position of tongue, jaw, and open-ness of oral cavity and throat) are all pretty similar. If you can get a good tone out of a wind instrument, you can get a good tone out of any other one. Especially all these oboists. Sheesh! Good sound there takes some talent. b**bs

Dew

• 3 weeks later...

I started on French horn in high school, but we needed a sax player so I ended up playing tenor sax. Once I found out about drum corps I took up tuba in high school. After that I marched contra in DCA for 2 years, then in the pit for a year and am now aging out in Division 3 this season on baritone. And for some odd reason in between there I also managed to learn bassoon.

Edited by knightsbari

I have been a alto sax player since the 4th grade. Never thought I would play anything else until this year when Fever started here in Modesto. I picked up a baritone and eventually got switched over to the euph. The Fever baritone line has three alto sax players in it. We all swithed over to the baritone when we heard drum corps was coming back to Modesto.

Hey this is my first post! Wooo.....