Drum heads, especially bass

davland

I prefer the sound of Aquarian tenor heads to the Remos.

I've got no problem with some of their drum set stuff, but their marching tenor heads are awful IMO. The second ply in the playing area just doesn't seem to make sense -- the playing area on tenors is off-center, so the second ply is going to affect tuning unevenly. And their 6" head also has the off-center playing area even though spocks are generally played in the center. But hey... to each his own. If you like 'em, more power to you.

My personal favorite tenor head is the Remo Renaissance Emperor. Very tonal, with a reasonably bright attack. Those things sing when they're in tune. The down side is that it takes some daily attention with a drum key to keep 'em in tune. (If you've got an inexperienced group and nobody to constantly wrench on the drums, they might not be the best choice.) And some people with an aesthetic hang-up don't like the yellowish color.

Some other good tenor options: Remo Smooth White Emperor (like Adam mentioned above). Decent sound, low maintenance, and VERY durable. The Evans MX Frost is also a decent head.

For basses, if you want to go the pre-muffled route, the Remo Powermax is a great choice. It's basically a Smooth White Ambassador (a very good head) with a muffling ring. I also like the sound of Evans' bass heads, but I'm not crazy about the muffling in their MX heads -- it has a tendency to make a buzzing noise. If someone wants to use Evans bass heads, I'd recommend the MS1 heads so you can muffle them yourself. At one of the schools in town, I've noticed their 3-4 year old Evans MX1 bass heads have become brittle, which is something to consider if you don't change heads every year or two.

There are a bunch of different snare head choices out there. I'm currently using Evans MX Whites and I'm very happy with them. The Remo White Max and Black Max also have good reputations. If you want something higher pitched (in the "dogs and dolphins" audible range), the Remo Cybermax is probably more to your liking. If you want something with a warmer sound, but still a Kevlar/fiber head, give the Evans Hybrid a listen. If you want to go even lower in pitch, you're into Mylar heads. Since the Premier Marathon is no longer manufactured, you'd have to settle for a Remo Powerstroke 77.

For a snare side head, people will generally come down in one of two camps: Mylar or Kevlar. Personally, I like lots of snare response, so I tend to stick with Mylar even though they require more tuning attention. The Ludwig Xtra Thin is a great head, as are the Remo Marching Ambassador and Evans MX3. For those that like the dry, high-pitched sound of Kevlar snare side heads, you can choose between the Evans MX5 and Remo Falam II.

--------------------

Or to make the selection process easy, here are my choices for your gig:

Snare: Evans MX White batter, Remo Hazy Marching Ambassador snare side (since they're only $4.95 at Steve Weiss)

Tenor: Remo Smooth White Emperor

Bass: Remo Powermax

I've got no problem with some of their drum set stuff, but their marching tenor heads are awful IMO. The second ply in the playing area just doesn't seem to make sense -- the playing area on tenors is off-center, so the second ply is going to affect tuning unevenly. And their 6" head also has the off-center playing area even though spocks are generally played in the center. But hey... to each his own. If you like 'em, more power to you.

Not all of their heads have the eye/dot on them--that's on the Projector heads. The tenor heads I picked up to try (Imperial II) have no dot and sound much better than the Remo pinstripes.

So you not liking the Projectors has nothing to with my recommendation of the Imperial IIs. :big hug: Though I should have specified what model I was speaking of.

TAFL

I second the remo powermax bass heads. I love them.

For tenors - remo pinstripes. I've never found a head I like better.

For snares - remo Black max on top and Ludwig X-tra thin mylar on the bottom.

EXACTLY what we use on our line..............

WOW! Thanks for the great responses folks. One concern I have been told to be aware of with the Powermax is that the sound is so clean that it can magnify every tick that younger, less experienced players have, especially on the top drum. What is your experience with this? I am all about having a good clean bass sound, but if it's going to be a detriment, I need to go a different direction.

WOW! Thanks for the great responses folks. One concern I have been told to be aware of with the Powermax is that the sound is so clean that it can magnify every tick that younger, less experienced players have, especially on the top drum. What is your experience with this? I am all about having a good clean bass sound, but if it's going to be a detriment, I need to go a different direction.

I would take the projection and overall sound, against whatever limitations the players may have,...............as it may encourage them to become a better section,..................and that is what you really want as an outcome,............

IDK. I mean if the line has a bunch of ticks for players you are going to hear them no matter what head you have on the drum. A late attack or missed beats in a run are pretty obvious.

Most HS lines bass sections are made up of the least experienced players (which is a mistake).

Overall if these heads are "cleaner" use it to your advantage and really focus on getting that bass line on point. IMO, a good bass line has more impact on the overall line then a strong snare or tenor section.

Another suggestion is to not write over the bass lines heads as far as runs are concerned. If you have to, break it down to the check patterns and then slowly add the meat back in once the check pattern flows and confidence increases.

Bass lines are usually bad because of confusion and lack of attention. If anything they need more work then any other section in the drumline because it involves more precision with timing and knowing how parts line up with their feet.