17. Xmen...73.525 (7/12)

18. Troopers...72.6 (7/14)

-----------------------------------------

19. Mandarins...69.125 (7/12)

20. Pioneer...63.85 (7/14)

Albuquerque

Lincoln

Ft Walton Beach

Looks like Madison has a good shot at Top 12 as our men continue to clean the show!

GO SCOUTS!!!!!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again... I point to judging. Not any individual judge... just the system. It is as imperfect as a system can be.

I wish I could suggest a better system, but sadly I can't. There must be a way, though...

It's simple really...change the weighting so that brass, percussion & GE account for a greater percentage of the total score...put another way, reduce the visual & color guard points. Hey...thats similar to the scoring system in place back when drum corp reached its peak in popularity!

WOW! I have to say that I am blown away by the scouts drumline this year! holy crap are they throwin down or what! I think it has to do with the cali staff they got goin on.. hahah. I saw them at the Stillwaster, MN show. My schools caption head (Paul Weber) marched tenors there from 98-01. wow! I hope they can keep it up because they are going somewhere this year!

Escept Madison is getting killed in percussion. Scores are not good.

I think the problems with the judging system, the conflicts of interest, the lack of objective quantifiable criteria in this activity mean there is a problem for anyone who is not the big three and the occassional promdate who gets to get a sniff at top 4. (Probably Crown this year)

The fact that (since we're talking about Madison here) Madison has done so much cleaning and rewriting of their show and they have moved almost not at all, just reinforces my contention that performance is practically immaterial and secondary to the groupthink that guarantees judges will get their gigs renewed year after year.

In a real life scenario, the second tier corps should actually close the gap on the top groups as cleaning only yields diminishing returns as you approach perfection. The DCI experience yields a completely inverted improvement curve.

How about this....one third of the corps (the guard) is not performing at a level to propel the scores higher. And to make matters worse...the Air Blades show everything...all the flaws. Plus, the black jackets and black bibs make the guard disappear visually for the first half of the show and then the second half....the white tops.....umm....not good.

However, the Scouts are beating corps they lost to all last season (Academy) so they should take solice in that. Also, when did Madison EVER worry about the scores? Entertain the crowd....REMEMBER? And Crown should take 4th this year because they have the 4th best overall show. Just like Madison should take about 13th because they have about the 13th place show.

My thoughts.

GO SCOUTS!!!! Do what you've always done...entertain the audience.

It's simple really...change the weighting so that brass, percussion & GE account for a greater percentage of the total score...put another way, reduce the visual & color guard points. Hey...thats similar to the scoring system in place back when drum corp reached its peak in popularity!

So a marching activity shouldn't reward visual? And guard....sorry, but I think it's about time the guard got rewarded for their work.

I like the current system very much. It's how corps like Crown, who have year in and out one of the finest visual packages, have moved up the ranks.

How about this....one third of the corps (the guard) is not performing at a level to propel the scores higher. And to make matters worse...the Air Blades show everything...all the flaws. Plus, the black jackets and black bibs make the guard disappear visually for the first half of the show and then the second half....the white tops.....umm....not good.

Yeah, yeah... give it a little time for the guard... they just relearned almost the entire show, and it will take some time to clean. They posted their highest scores to date tonight, and they'll be improving from here.

GO SCOUTS!!!!!

Yeah, yeah... give it a little time for the guard... they just relearned almost the entire show, and it will take some time to clean. They posted their highest scores to date tonight, and they'll be improving from here.

GO SCOUTS!!!!!

How about just getting rid of the airblades....that would be big help right there.

However, the Scouts are beating corps they lost to all last season (Academy) so they should take solice in that. Also, when did Madison EVER worry about the scores? Entertain the crowd....REMEMBER? And Crown should take 4th this year because they have the 4th best overall show. Just like Madison should take about 13th because they have about the 13th place show.

My thoughts.

GO SCOUTS!!!! Do what you've always done...entertain the audience.

Dead on with the Air Blade and jacket comments. Unless these guys can achieve near perfection with the new Air Blades, they're just hurting themselves. The visual aspect of the Air Blade seems to greatly accentuate any timing miscues. The "Blades" really seem to have an exaggerated effect upon exposure. Secondly, many of us have been commenting on the drawback to the Guard removing their jackets for several weeks now. Regretfully, the staff must feel otherwise. Man, its a bad look......Very anti-climatic.

Dead on with the Air Blade and jacket comments. Unless these guys can achieve near perfection with the new Air Blades, they're just hurting themselves. The visual aspect of the Air Blade seems to greatly accentuate any timing miscues. The "Blades" really seem to have an exaggerated effect upon exposure. Secondly, many of us have been commenting on the drawback to the Guard removing their jackets for several weeks now. Regretfully, the staff must feel otherwise. Man, its a bad look......Very anti-climatic.

So email Jeff and Dann and let them know what you think!

Somehow I think the ending is as yet incomplete from the guard standpoint. It's ending with the guard just standing there...

Funny. SCV got major hoots and whistles tonight from the girls in the audience when they removed their suit jackets and ties. Madison - absolutely nothing. They kind of looked like Fonzy with the tighty white-t's.