DCI aspirations

palthir

getting into any of the better world class corps is my dream.

aka 1. Xmen/bluecoats 2. blue knights 3. scouts / carolina crown.

ive kinda ranked them in the order of my desire to be in that corps but with a bit a reality thrown in that im not that great.

that is my biggest aspiration, to join any one of these corps and I believe that I can do it. but I really really need to practice.

I still am not sure which instrument I will do the best on. my incoming freshman year I made the tenor line for my high school but I had to drop out after a couple of days of playing because of my back. a 98 pound me just couldnt carry tenors heh. so I am about to be a sophomore and right now I am on bass#4. I initially tryed out on tenors but I didnt quite make it...technique issues he said taht would take too long to fix but He also says he doesnt know Why i shouldnt be able to fix them and play by junior year. but Im not sure. bass might be my calling and the instrument I am best at. which im perfectly ok with if I march it for a corps, but basically

TL;DR I need to practice my butt off and I think you guys might be the ones to help me out a little bit

I have no doubt that if I work hard enough that I can make it into a respectable world class corps

but I need lots help too, so i came to you guys. I figure you can answer any questiosn I may have about DCI or stuff

and by the way, if anyone knows a person with DCI experience in the DFW area that could help a kid out thatd be nice if I could get a few contacts or something

Go to a few drum corps shows. Check out virfirth.com for some cool technique things. Bug corps drummers at shows (after the show), they love to show off and help. Work out so you can carry drums all day!

Really the best way to get better is to play with others. If your school line is good max that out, or join an Open Class corps in your area.

Good Luck.

sweet thanks for the advice :tongue:

hopefully im gonna be going to a few DCI events this summer, maybe finals if I can convince my parents

and I just dont know of many open corps around my area but im lookin!

thanks!

Hey, there is a great All-Age Corps in your area called Frontier Drum and Bugle Corps. In MCL, we have lots of high school aged kids who are "learning the ropes" before joining junior corps. I am sure that they would welcome you aboard, and teach you more than you can imagine. Check them out, they are based in Denton.

well ve been looking a little bit at frontier but im not sure if I want to play for them or just go try out for revolution in san antonio, but I stil dont know my skill level compared to others so im not sure

well ve been looking a little bit at frontier but im not sure if I want to play for them or just go try out for revolution in san antonio, but I stil dont know my skill level compared to others so im not sure

I strongly recommend attending a Frontier rehearsal, they are in your area, and you will be warmly welcomed. This way you can actually participate and find out what skills are required. Heading to an all-age corps is a fantastic way to gain experience, earn more skills, and learn about the drum corps activity.

Drum corps is totally different than any marching band, you should slowly get your feet wet (all-age/DCA) rather than diving head first into the pool (DCI).

Best of luck in whatever decision you make, and keep drumming!

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest advice there is to just go and check it out. You never know how you stack up until you go and find out for yourself. Plus it will give you a great feel of what you need to work on.