Syllabus for Winterguard Class?

quegrawks

I need to develop a syllabus for winterguard class. Not for marching band-- we use the marching band syllabus for that. Does anyone have a syllabus (objectives, basic course outline, etc.) for winterguard/guard classes?

Here's my basic course description (also required): The course is an introduction to competitive winter colorguard (winterguard), a performance art. Students will learn basic dance, performance, and equipment skills, as well as be provided the option to participate in competitive and/or exhibition winterguard.

I need this ASAP. Any help is appreciated! You can email me or PM me off list. Thanks!

Bump. No one teaches guard class during the spring? This is the first time we're offering this, and I need to come up with a syllabus for it, which is something I've never done. ANY help from anyone? Please?

Bump. No one teaches guard class during the spring? This is the first time we're offering this, and I need to come up with a syllabus for it, which is something I've never done. ANY help from anyone? Please?

Most that I've come across are just revamped from the fall handbook/syllabus or is just a continuation of the fall semester focusing on more advanced dance and equipment skills. I'm not sure what your fall syllabus consists of, but using as a guide will probably help. Also, if the concert band has a syllabus that may help too...as winter guard can be compared to concert band in that the "parts" of the marching band split in the winter/spring to work on specialized and specific skills (in the eyes of the administration).

Most that I've come across are just revamped from the fall handbook/syllabus or is just a continuation of the fall semester focusing on more advanced dance and equipment skills. I'm not sure what your fall syllabus consists of, but using as a guide will probably help. Also, if the concert band has a syllabus that may help too...as winter guard can be compared to concert band in that the "parts" of the marching band split in the winter/spring to work on specialized and specific skills (in the eyes of the administration).

We generally use the marching band handbook, which doesn't specify much of anything for guard. I'll have to ask what they've been doing in the past when marching season was over and they still had a month or so until the end of the semester. This is a whole new experience for me.

Dance, teach them lots of dance. It's a good time to break it waaaaaay down in a more relaxed setting.

Dance, teach them lots of dance. It's a good time to break it waaaaaay down in a more relaxed setting.

yeah. how do I explain in a syllabus?

----------------

Now playing: Lita Ford - Kiss Me Deadly

via FoxyTunes

yeah. how do I explain in a syllabus?

----------------

Now playing: Lita Ford - Kiss Me Deadly

via FoxyTunes

1) Foot position, etc. arm positions, basic philosophies of dance (turn out etc./safety)

2) Simple traveling stuff, jazz runs, walks.......

3) Simple turns and travelling across the floors.

4) Leaps and more advanced turn technique

Something like that. They can learn a basic barre earlier in the syllabus......take some time to apply the movement to equipment and how

postures in dance translate to guard.

I dunno how much of a time span you have to teach to really give a good syllabus or a better example.

Of course that is more like a course description......the objectives of what you want to get done should be up to you and included in that syllabus.

Edited by Musical_Spinner