Help, please!

Okay, I'm new on here, so really quick, "Hi everyone! I love it here so far!"

Alright, my problem is this: I'm the colorguard captain (yay!) in my high school's marching band for the 08-09 season. We have 14 girls this year, which is more than our school has had in at least the past 4 years. Out of that 14, only 3 have twirled before. I just need some suggestions on how to keep them motivated and how to teach them as quickly and efficeintly as possible. We have 1 week of guard camp and then 2 more weeks of band camp. To any student, that's almost like torture to take 3 weeks out of their summer break, so I need ways to make it fun. Also, I need some uniform ideas (preferrably cheap uniforms) if you guys have any. Our show is Nightmare Before Christmas.

Thanks a bunch! :ninja:

Okay, I'm new on here, so really quick, "Hi everyone! I love it here so far!"

Alright, my problem is this: I'm the colorguard captain (yay!) in my high school's marching band for the 08-09 season. We have 14 girls this year, which is more than our school has had in at least the past 4 years. Out of that 14, only 3 have twirled before. I just need some suggestions on how to keep them motivated and how to teach them as quickly and efficeintly as possible. We have 1 week of guard camp and then 2 more weeks of band camp. To any student, that's almost like torture to take 3 weeks out of their summer break, so I need ways to make it fun. Also, I need some uniform ideas (preferrably cheap uniforms) if you guys have any. Our show is Nightmare Before Christmas.

Thanks a bunch! :ninja:

My first question is always--- Do you have a guard instructor? If so, ask the instructor what to do, and let the instructor worry about uniforms.

That said-- if you do not have an instructor: Talk to the band director and show designer (drill writer) and ask them for ideas. It's always best to have a lot of communication with everyone, and who better than the people who should already have a clue of what they expect from you. I'll wait until I hear back before giving any other suggestions.

Thanks! And about your questions, we have an instructor, but only for 4 days (our guard camp). They're coming from a different state and they're gonna teach us our entire routine then. I have my doubts about us getting it all done in that length of time, expecially with so many beginners, but hopefully we'll get through. Our band director is the show designer as well and the uniform suggested by him had many problems that I found (examples- too hot for the area we live in, much too pricey for our budget, etc.). I am hoping to have better communication with him this year, though, to strengthen our band as much as possible.

If you contact a company - such as The Band Hall, Algy, Creative Costuming and Design, Band Shoppe, etc - and tell them what you are looking for and what type of budget you have, they will more than likely either design something for you or point you in the right direction of something just right.

I would suggest having someone video tape the work you will be taught, so that when the instructor leaves you can go back to it and clean and make sure everything is done correctly.

Videotape while the instructor is teaching you, so if you have any questions you can go back to it. If for some reason you are on day 3 and have a TON to learn, have the instructor video tape everything left to teach on day 4. Have him/her go thru it slow, making sure that hand movements are explained (if need be). I've done this before, and it does work well. You can then go home and learn the routine to teach to the rest of the group later.

As far as keeping the rookies 'into' it, and motiviated, you must help them understand that it is always a work in progress, and to not let them get frustrated. It is easy to do.

I am a Director, this is my 8th year. This is the biggest rookie class I have had in many years--I have 14 rookies. 7 Vets. The first 2 days of camp are crucial to not letting them get down on themselves. Make sure you are really paying attention to the struggling ones, and those that are easily frustrated, or the ones who seem to be giving up.

It seems that you are a student, and budget is something you really shouldn't be worrying about. That is for the Director. www.theguardroom.com has a lot of inexpensive uniforms and flags that may work for you. The site is a consignment store, and I have purchased stuff there, and also have some items for sale. Start there, as you may find something.

Good luck!

Thanks! And about your questions, we have an instructor, but only for 4 days (our guard camp). They're coming from a different state and they're gonna teach us our entire routine then. I have my doubts about us getting it all done in that length of time, expecially with so many beginners, but hopefully we'll get through. Our band director is the show designer as well and the uniform suggested by him had many problems that I found (examples- too hot for the area we live in, much too pricey for our budget, etc.). I am hoping to have better communication with him this year, though, to strengthen our band as much as possible.

____________________ <----10 foot pole...not touching this one.... :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys so much! We decided on uniforms today with help from Algy. Now it's my job to pick the flags. Again, our show is Nightmare Before Christmas, so all I can pretty much think of to use is black. Will too much black ruin the color of the guard? :rolleyes: (pun intended) Or what other colors/flags would be really good?

You might try calling Algy again and getting them to help you select flags as well. I'm sure they'd be happy to help!

BUT - if you must do it yourself, look for colors that coordinate well with the costume and help bring the music alive. (i.e. black really doesn't say anything except for darkness/absence of color... you need color to really make the music worth listening to).

We are doing the same show sort of. we are doing beetle juice, nightmare, and corpse bride. we are using black and white for beetle juice, shades of grey and black for corpse bride, and a burnt orange flag for nightmare. so your black idea is on the right path but i would think of halloween colors as long as they look good with your uniforms.