An open ended question...

Design Hound

Just trying to resolve something for my own sake, from a conversation I had a few days ago.

Just a question to all of you who marched G bugles: does a megatone mouthpiece defeat the purpose of playing on a g bugle?

I won't elaborate on what I mean, seeing what people interpret that as meaning is part of the resolution I'm after. And, discuss :rolleyes:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never played on a Bach Megatone mouthpiece. I generally don't find Bach rims comfortable.

However, in the past there have been heavier or increased mass mouthpieces. Most notable would be the Parduba double cup and the Rudy Muck mouthpieces. Playing one of those heavier mouthpieces, I find, changes the tone. Darkens the tone, some may say.

The more modern increased mass mouthpieces and sound sleeves and bell attachments go a bit further.

I would say it's personal preference as far as sound and playing, (they do play a little different).

I wouldn't say playing one defeats the purpose of playing a g bugle or any other key for that matter.

Personally, I prefer a lightweight setup and a brighter sound.

Well since everything we were ever taught emphasized 'Dark, warm, chocolatey air, open throat, ect.', I would say no, using a Megatone might actually help in those goals. Because of their open and light construction it was very easy to get a very crass and penetrating tone out of the horns. You had to work to keep the output in the desirable range. Especially for us mellos who were then essentially keyed in the same range as the sopranos. Lazerphones were very common then. Dark and warm is about tone quality no matter what key the horn is in.

My experience with the Bach Megatones is mixed at best. IMHO control of air and opening has much more effect then that tiny bit of extra mass. Not to mention the right cup depth, size and shape. I have heard they help center pitches a bit, but it is subtle at best. Its kind of like golf aids, if you think they help, then for you at least there is a benefit.

We would laugh when some played on a megatone piece

JP

Just trying to resolve something for my own sake, from a conversation I had a few days ago.

Just a question to all of you who marched G bugles: does a megatone mouthpiece defeat the purpose of playing on a g bugle?

I won't elaborate on what I mean, seeing what people interpret that as meaning is part of the resolution I'm after. And, discuss :rolleyes:

Just a hint, the issue I'm trying to dig at isn't actually the use of a megatone mouthpiece... but what the "point" of a G bugle is that a megatone would "defeats the purpose of."

I personally don't think it defeats the purpose, I'm trying to see what viewpoint someone has that would think so.

Just a hint, the issue I'm trying to dig at isn't actually the use of a megatone mouthpiece... but what the "point" of a G bugle is that a megatone would "defeats the purpose of."

I personally don't think it defeats the purpose, I'm trying to see what viewpoint someone has that would think so.

I have no idea what you're up to.102.gif

Alright, I'll give the details of why I ask...

Main points presented to me, explaining why a megatone defeats the purpose of a g bugle:

- cuts down vibration, hence cleaning up the sound

- reduces endurance and range

I don't agree with either (I played on this same mouthpiece for three years on a g horn, and the intention of the hornline was to sound dark and clean... and I never had a problem with endurance or range on it either). Just wondering if I'm crazy for disagreeing or what (I don't know many authorities on g bugles in real life so thought I'd give this a shot) Thanks!

I used a Megatone briefly when I started marching Blue Stars, but I switched away from it to a different mouthpiece with a sharper rim because it was too hard to get a good clean articulation on it. The problem is that you're already having to work too hard to clean up the articulation on the bugle, and a mouthpiece like that (at least with a contra) was just exacerbating the problem. Honestly, though, you're not going to find some magic mouthpiece that will make everyone sound "darker" or whatever. It's all in the individual and what fits them best as a player, which is why everyone should take time and care in testing and selecting mouthpieces, rather than jumping on the bandwagon for the latest mouthpiece fad.