Wouldn't it be great....

G-horns

... if all instruments read in concert key, regardless of their natural key? It would make things soooo much easier.

That would be awesome! I once had to play an E part on a Bb horn *head explodes*

For who ???

Welllllll... it'd be harder for some players, certainly. Beginners, possibly. Old dogs, who never pushed their learning past the boundaries of their one particular clef/key, certainly. Trumpet players, definitely. (I keed, I keed!)

It would be easier for ensembles, as a whole. Much as the whole hornline being in G was easier...

But I'm a trombone player, IRL, so I'm already used to reading four different clefs and three different keys(counting the time I had to back up the french horns and transpose F-treble clef in my head... which did explodeth), so I might not be the most objective opinion... :lol:

But I'm a trombone player, IRL, so I'm already used to reading four different clefs and three different keys(counting the time I had to back up the french horns and transpose F-treble clef in my head... which did explodeth), so I might not be the most objective opinion... :whistle:

I was getting pretty good at transposing in my head etc.... but then I stopped being a music major. Reading a C part on Bb is probably the best I can pull off sight reading these days :lol:

Was always jealous of the trombones with their "move everything down a line, add two flats" or whatever tricks they had up their sleeve to read all the different clefs and kepys

It would be easier for ensembles, as a whole. Much as the whole hornline being in G was easier...

:lol:

Edited by camel lips

Welllllll... it'd be harder for some players, certainly. Beginners, possibly. Old dogs, who never pushed their learning past the boundaries of their one particular clef/key, certainly. Trumpet players, definitely. (I keed, I keed!)

But I'm a trombone player, IRL, so I'm already used to reading four different clefs and three different keys(counting the time I had to back up the french horns and transpose F-treble clef in my head... which did explodeth), so I might not be the most objective opinion... :lol:

Beginners would not suffer. They don't know anything to start with, so it would be easiest for them. The ones who would be impacted the most are the ones who are pretty much on auto-pilot and can only play what's on the printed page.

It would be much easier for ensembles, and those G hornlines would be reading in concert key, too! Want to do a joint performance? Hand out the music - everyone would be fine regardless of the "mixed" keys.

Different clefs are not what I'm talking about, but I think everyone should be able to read treble and bass clef.

I was getting pretty good at transposing in my head etc.... but then I stopped being a music major. Reading a C part on Bb is probably the best I can pull off sight reading these days :lol:

Was always jealous of the trombones with their "move everything down a line, add two flats" or whatever tricks they had up their sleeve to read all the different clefs and kepys

Heck, if you know what you're doing, just as the keyboard player what key they're in and what the first note is. Of course, the keyboard player better know if it is major or relative minor. :whistle:

:thumbup: lol. kinda. I am a trombone player. My band director was so impressed because i was reading an Eb clarinet part for a piece in my band earlier this year. I play trumpet as well though, so transposing all around is pretty easy. For Eb music its really easy, ignore the treble clef and imagine its a bass clef, transpose the key and you have key of c music in bass clef. Its amazing!

:tongue: lol. kinda. I am a trombone player. My band director was so impressed because i was reading an Eb clarinet part for a piece in my band earlier this year. I play trumpet as well though, so transposing all around is pretty easy. For Eb music its really easy, ignore the treble clef and imagine its a bass clef, transpose the key and you have key of c music in bass clef. Its amazing!

Heheh, that's similar to what I always tell orchestral trombone players when they're experiencing in-key treble clef (like, say, an all-G old school drum corps part... or a concert band Bb baritone part, etc). "It's exactly like Tenor clef, just imagine there's two extra flats in the key signature."