Dynasty Battery Sound

yep. i have heard a few lines on dynasty that sounded good. reading buccaneers, boston, and rhythm x. other than that, no thanks.

That proves the point it's not the drums... it's the people tuning them. I've heard PLENTY of Yamaha and Pearl lines sounds like complete crap because of the tuning.

I'll admit the aesthetic factor of the Dynasty snares is a minor turn-off, however, it's hard to overlook the fact Dynasty makes the best tenor mounting system, their stands are the best in the business and their carriers are among the most sturdy and comfortable.

Edited by Hulka

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah their tenor cradle is unbeaten in the industry. they certainly have a great eye for innovation, and seem to be willing to work with people to constantly make their product better (ie working with paul rennick over the past year or so). so kudos for that.

Dynasty = bad sound IMO. No matter how you tune it (snare), at least with kevlar or composite heads.

I'll admit I've never heard them with mylar heads, but the tenors sound bad to me as well so I'm assuming it's the shell that is the weak link compared to Yamaha or Pearl.

Personally, I wouldn't march a line using Dynasty if I had the choice. I am heartbroken to see Phantom selling their soul and marching Dynasty this year. We'll see how it shakes out but my bet is that it is a bad move for them-

Dynasty = bad sound IMO. No matter how you tune it (snare), at least with kevlar or composite heads.

I'll admit I've never heard them with mylar heads, but the tenors sound bad to me as well so I'm assuming it's the shell that is the weak link compared to Yamaha or Pearl.

Personally, I wouldn't march a line using Dynasty if I had the choice. I am heartbroken to see Phantom selling their soul and marching Dynasty this year. We'll see how it shakes out but my bet is that it is a bad move for them-

unfortunately, many drum corps dont have that choice.

they make decisions based on money. For instance, Ludwig....

bump.

Ludwig killed the thread

That proves the point it's not the drums... it's the people tuning them. I've heard PLENTY of Yamaha and Pearl lines sounds like complete crap because of the tuning.

I'll admit the aesthetic factor of the Dynasty snares is a minor turn-off, however, it's hard to overlook the fact Dynasty makes the best tenor mounting system, their stands are the best in the business and their carriers are among the most sturdy and comfortable.

I'd agree about the tuning - wholeheartedly. I thought Boston's drums in 03 sound pretty nice. When they switched to Pearl, I think they've had some great sounding lines. I had a friend in their snareline in 06'/'07 (their snare sound in '06 is one of my all time favorites) he said they put stuff on the bottom head under the snares - like pen caps - to get the great sound.

What is the aesthetic factor you are refering to?? I think in general, I really can't stand any snare sound I've heard except for BAC in '03. I have heard any of the DCA corps - I'm going to have to check them out.

Tenor sounds for me have been mediocre at best - BD especially they sound almost muffled and thick.

The tuning is a great point - I wonder if PR will have their trademark tenor sound with the new Dynasty drums..

Boston '03 had those drums SINGING! The snares weren't as boxy, plenty of snare response and were quite smooth. The tenors were absolutely gorgeous, probably one of the best tenor tones ever. The tenors doing small accent phrases in the second number cut like I've never heard tenors cut before, especially with that sustain, which tenors aren't known for. The basses with Fiberskyn heads on them were incredibly deep and powerful. They were hands down the best Dynasty basses I have ever heard.

I'm not a Dynasty fanboy by any means. I'm a Yamaha fan through and through but Boston '03 have an incredible sound that cannot be denied are argued in any way.

What is the aesthetic factor you are refering to??

I don't like the looks of the Dynasty snares. With no tubes or anything to "connect" the top to the bottom it looks awkward and I'm not a fan of the Dynasty script decal. The company logo looks like they used some stock script font in Microsoft Word. Just being picky, and wouldn't stop me from using their drums.

Yup, it's all in how you tune the things. And I'm with Hulka on the decal ... way too 60s! Need an updated corpoate logo, or leave the cheezy lookin' things off the shells!

But on a related note .... are Dynasty tenor shells deeper this year? Looks like it in the pics I've seen....

Edited by hughesmr

I don't like the looks of the Dynasty snares. With no tubes or anything to "connect" the top to the bottom it looks awkward and I'm not a fan of the Dynasty script decal.

The lack of posts or lugs looks awkward on the full-size snares, but it actually doesn't look too bad on the "Shorty" 14x10 model. There's a little less "nothingness" between the tension ring up top and the bottom lugs.

...and the logo could definitely use updating.