Continuing Education for Instructors

I was wondering if anyone knew of a camp or clinic in the eastern US that offered classes for instructors. I would like to learn some new moves to add to my arsenal.

if you don't know of a camp or clinic what do you do to keep up on the latest trends and get new ideas?

I found this on colorguardexchange.com:

Zydeco World will be hosting their first summer technique/training session at the Decatur Intermediate Learning Center in Indianapolis, IN on Saturday, July 19th from 11:00am – 7:00pm.

The address of the center is:

Decatur Intermediate Learning Center

5650 Mann Rd.

Indianapolis, IN 46221

This will be a great chance for performers considering auditioning for Zydeco 2009 to meet and work with several members of our staff, learn important elements of our equipment technique and training programs; as well as participate in a dance class and experience short choreography sequences on movement, flag, rifle and sabre.

This training session is also open to anyone who just wants to come and spin - and have a great time! There is no age limit, everyone is welcome to attend. If you are a member of a high school with an existing winterguard program, an instructor wanting to experience something new, or a prospective member for 2009: we'd love to see you there!

Registration will be from 11:00am - 11:30am; there will be a one hour lunch break.

*The cost of the clinic will be $25.00 per person, with former Zydeco members receiving a discounted rate.

**If 10 or more students attend from one scholastic program we will offer a $5.00 group discount per attendee.

If you have any questions regarding this event you may contact us at zydecocolorguard@aol.com

Please visit us on the web at www.zydecocolorguard.com

Thanks for all the ideas. I live in western Virginia (not to be confused with West Virginia) but i'm willing to travel a few hours if i can find a good clinic. I need something but not so much to bring my guard to.

The closest thing for you might be APEX (http://www.apexwinterguard.org/), but I haven't heard announcements about any clinics from them yet. Are you looking for summer, or for winter? If there's a college near you, consider asking their marching band/guard instructional staff if you could bring your students to one of their camps or something.

If not, consider asking Fred J. Miller if they have a camp near you, or if there's a competitive guard program nearby, maybe they might know of something

The closest thing for you might be APEX (http://www.apexwinterguard.org/), but I haven't heard announcements about any clinics from them yet. Are you looking for summer, or for winter? If there's a college near you, consider asking their marching band/guard instructional staff if you could bring your students to one of their camps or something.

If not, consider asking Fred J. Miller if they have a camp near you, or if there's a competitive guard program nearby, maybe they might know of something

Last that I had heard, APEX is no more. They had their last show in Wildwood, NJ in May. I'm not sure about CPEX though...

It's kind of a hike, but Bethel Winterguard in Ct. is having a clinic on July 26.

I'll post the info (or have their director) post it here!

I am also from Virginia. I haven't attended the camps myself but as I understand it, most of the camps that host students also have instructor's tracks. Even if they don't, it never hurts to ask if they would mind if an instructor attended the student sessions (if you would be comfortable with that). There is a camp at James Madison University and George Mason University is holding a clinic as well. I think there may still be a camp at Westchester University in PA and usually there is a Fred J. Miller camp in the Towson, MD area (maybe at Towson or Goucher). Finally, I think there is a camp at Ferrum College in Southwest VA. I just don't know details or dates for any of these...

First Flight Winter Guard had a camp this spring that I heard went really well so keep an eye on their website to see if they have additional sessions later in the summer or fall. They're in Raleigh, North Carolina.

We also had an educational training session on design (taught by Phil Madden and William Grumley) which was excellent last month for the Atlantic Indoor Association. Keep your eye on the AIA website for future training sessions (and I post any educational workshops I hear about on the calendar page at Color Guard Educators as well).

Personally, I've approached the task of updating my own skills by bringing in guest instructors to work with my students. You can often find someone who is willing to travel in for a day or two to work with the kids. I always stand in the back and learn right along with the students and then use time during breaks to clarify any questions I have regarding teaching/training or cleaning the skill.

I hope this helps some!

Catina Anderson

www.colorguardeducators.com

and coach at Broad Run HS in Northern VA