Number 3?

I dunno. Both Cavies and Cadets were pretty uncontested in 02 and 05 for the title. BD didn't put up much of a fight in 02 and Cavies didn't put up much of a fight in 05. I'm thinking more of a 3-way fight to the finish between BD, Cavies and Phantom. Sort of like 06.

Hmmm.... Everyone keeps mentioning that Cadets didn't have much of a fight in 2005. If I remember correctly, the Cadets did not beat the Cavaliers until the last regional that year (Indy). That isn't exactly the same as going undefeated in 2002 (Cavies). Let's not confuse the two just because the Cadets tied the highest score.

Cavaliers had a different time in 2002. BD's show was a mess early season (they were as low as 5th when they first came out that year... score-wise, not head to head). Cadets were the ones that people thought were going to beat the Cavaliers at some point (if there was going to be anyone)... then they went and threw in a whole bunch of "current event effects" into their show.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides, the 70's called, they want Phantom's hornline back.

If there is any corps out there that has the power of a 70s line, then I'm more than ready to hear it! Woot!

Curious to know...why the title of this thread...

#3?

WTF?

Haha, yeah before I opened the thread up, I thought it was gonna be about SCV...

#1 Cavies 02 - 99.15

#2 Cadets 05 - 99.15

#3 2008 Winner???

Yeah...I guess that's it. However, the OP didn't mention that record score anywhere in his post, so who knows.

Maybe we were left to figure that out ourselves, only I didn't make that connection.

Honestly, this year I'm just trying to enjoy the shows and not be as competitive about it. I didn't start following this activity extensively until the very end of 2002. I kid you not, until that time, the only corps I knew about were The Cadets and Blue Devils with any sort of familiarity. And with corps not varying greatly from the programs they had been producing in the years leading up to then, I got competitive about who did their style the best, and started looking for holes in other corps' programs, and found myself not enjoying it when I tried to judge off the "vibe" I was getting and the judges ended up with something significantly different.

So, I've just decided to try to find something good about every corps program and judge things more off of which shows are the most original, or fun, or engaging and let the scores fall where they may. Because I get the feeling that if I try to get worked up over what the scores "should" be, I'm going to end up very bitter and jaded by the end of the summer.

Having said that, I DO tremendously enjoy the Blue Devils show this year. The "vibe" I get from them is one of unmatched originality (for this year). Performance quality and technical difficulty are things I have opinions on but are just as valid as if I was trying to run someone else's country...i.e. it's not my area of expertise. But I definitely get a sense of somthing "new" in their show, whereas I feel like I'm getting a more of the same things from their competitors. While there are certain programmed elements musically that hearken back to shows from the past decade, I really feel that this is something different for them. They have truly changed up their visual program and have presented something that I feel is unlike what everyone else is doing, and I certainly like seeing them get rewarded for that. I side with Michael Cesario's sentiment that a defending champion should feel the obligation to try and push the activity the year after they've won, and I feel the Blue Devils are doing that. Regardless of where it places, I feel this is going to be one of the better-liked BD shows by the general viewing public and will undoubtedly get a lot of replays by me on DVD and APD.

I guess you're right... which is why Phantom is beating BD in Brass AND Percussion. We all have our opinions and I am not usually one to defend Phantom, but this show can win. Don't get me wrong, I like BD and Cavaliers... they too have shows that can and are winning. The captions that Phantom is lacking the most in are Colorguard and their ensemble captions. According to the judges, Phantom has more cleaning to do... and BD is just a little cleaner. As far as the two point comment:

July 8, 2008

BD- 85.200

PR- 84.150

Not exactly a two point spread... more like one. They started at two points, which means Phantom is gaining on the Blue Devils. Just some food for thought.

check your facts homeboy....PR got beat by 0.4 in perc last night.

check your facts homeboy....PR got beat by 0.4 in perc last night.

And last night Phantom won BOTH brass and percussion.

It has been a back and forth thing with Phantom and Devils...one winning horns one night, then taking second the next. One winning percussion one night, then losing it the next. And the same for Music Ensemble. But Phantom has yet to take BD in Music GE.

I think Phantom might just catch up to BD as they clean later in the season, but for the moment they are not gaining ground, as they are and have been for a week now, between 1.5-2.0 down on average (actual spreads have been from .95 - 2.2).