Should corps take numerous days off to rehearse between shows?

Hmmm, I guess slotting is dead (see BK set record thread). But taking 8 days off in between shows? I brought this up in another thread, but shouldn't corps be "required" to perform at DCI shows that they are in the vincinity of? Again, I'm not talking about making a cross country trip to attend a show. I'm talking about if the corps is within an hour or so drive to a show. Isn't that what drum corps should be about? Bringing the show to the fans? And having the fans reward the performers by filling the stands and throwing babies?

If cities/towns are going to go through the effort and expense to put on a DCI show, you think the least a corps could do is attend instead of taking the night off to rehearse. Again, I bring up the case of the Cavies when they hang out for a few days before the San Antonio show to rehearse near Ft Worth. During that time, there is a DCI show in Dallas that the Cavies have choosen not to attend the past few years.

You might say it is because the Cavies have their own show in Denton (also near Dallas) the day after the San Antonio show and they don't want to take away from their own show's attendance. That makes smart business sense, but has DCI become a "it's all about my corps and the money we make, and the rest is secondary?"

Then again is the cost of fuel making the corps take many days off between shows?

Here's a scary prediction. Corps "A" "B" and "C" decide that gas is prohibitively expensive to tour the USA, so they choose to rehearse for the entire summer and just attend Finals in Indy. Wouldn't that be grand?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, I guess slotting is dead (see BK set record thread). But taking 8 days off in between shows? I brought this up in another thread, but shouldn't corps be "required" to perform at DCI shows that they are in the vincinity of? Again, I'm not talking about making a cross country trip to attend a show. I'm talking about if the corps is within an hour or so drive to a show. Isn't that what drum corps should be about? Bringing the show to the fans? And having the fans reward the performers by filling the stands and throwing babies?

I agree. I think that corps should be performing if they are in the vicinity of the show, I mean, isn't that what its all about? You still get a decent time of rehearsal on a show night anyway. I know that when I (hopefully) march corps next year, I'd want as many performance opportunities as possible...

Isn't that what drum corps should be about?
I mean, isn't that what its all about?

Shouldn't drum corps "be all about" doing whatever it needs to do to give its members the greatest possible experience, AS THEY SEE FIT?

On the other hand, I've heard more than one director over the years say something like, "If it wasn't for all these darn shows, we sure would have a lot more time to practice!" :tongue:

Shouldn't drum corps "be all about" doing whatever it needs to do to give its members the greatest possible experience, AS THEY SEE FIT?

On the other hand, I've heard more than one director over the years say something like, "If it wasn't for all these darn shows, we sure would have a lot more time to practice!" :tongue:

Yes, although, if we had multiple corps taking 4-8 day breaks between shows, there would be less shows, and the shows that would happen would have less corps performing, which means less attendance, which in turn leaves less money for the corps (from souvie booths) and less money for DCI (from ticket sales.)

An easier way to manage this would be to say that each corps must participate in a minimum number of DCI competitions in order to qualify for quarterfinals.

But again: it's DCI that decides when and where BK and every other corps performs. The corps director didn't just call up a few shows they were supposed to do and say "Uh, yeah, we've decided we want some extra rehearsal time, so...we're not coming." The entire premise of this thread is mistaken.

But again: it's DCI that decides when and where BK and every other corps performs. The corps director didn't just call up a few shows they were supposed to do and say "Uh, yeah, we've decided we want some extra rehearsal time, so...we're not coming." The entire premise of this thread is mistaken.

Not true. It was well-documented here earlier in the year that the corps pick their own schedules once DCI roughs out the general flow of the tour.

Fuel prices may dictate that tour is shortened and or a break (or two) some where for a week will help with costs. Scheduling is set by DCI so a corps does not just "choose" not to tour.

Do the corps get to request anything though? What if BK really wanted to do a show every day this Summer and DCI said "No, we're going to make you take eight days off in the beginning of July." That would suck for BK. Did Phantom have the choice to go out West this year, or DCI force them to?

Do the corps get to request anything though? What if BK really wanted to do a show every day this Summer and DCI said "No, we're going to make you take eight days off in the beginning of July." That would suck for BK. Did Phantom have the choice to go out West this year, or DCI force them to?

It is my understanding that there is some sort of rotation to get the "east" corps out to the west, but nothing set in stone.