Drum Corps and Religion

Very nicely put, and I applaud you for your strong faith. My kid was certainly given the background, and usually takes a new testament along, but I don't think too many of the new things he learned in drum corps had much to do with church :thumbup:

Good to see you have a sense of humour about it. We know GOD does.... just look at the bunch down here!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody's experience is different.

I'd have to say that overall, for me the drum corps experience was a very Godless environment (and I did my part).

...my kids will never march junior corps.

Drum corps didn't teach me anything about religion it actually pulled me away from it when I was marching, it was a pretty bad influence in that respect but at the same time it taught me alot of things about life that religion didn't teach.

I saw Roman Belinski walking from a Church when finals were in Orlando one year and I remember that because it made me go up and start a conversation with him after being formally introduced. I have alot of respect for anyone who trys to bring any kind of religion into an activity that has really become antagonistic in that respect. It has become more and more accepting of the later then of religion in my opinion.

I feel myself slowly being pulled away from the activity for those reasons. I don't have "religion" I have a relationship, there is a big difference.

I wish they would have a Chaplain or some kind of opportunity for those who wish to have bible study's on board. But that would probably "violate somebody's constitutional right", or in the least "Offend" someone for sure.

I have noticed a trend in the shows that they have become alot more "dark" and sinister.....if that means anything.

Edited by Lancerlady

This is like 4 hours too late...but whatever

Who needs a doctor when you've got 150+ members to give opinions on one' ailment?

My point is: Sometimes one needs someone who is trained to handle certain matters.

I'd love to hear from someone with SCV about what it was like to have Father Jim on tour.

Because there's a difference between having a physical/mental problem and a faith-based problem.

I don't necessarily think you NEED a chaplain, but that's just me I guess. If God is everywhere and can see everything you do...why don't you just talk to him? :ohmy:

Because there might be occasional disagreements among one or two of those 150+ members, and it can be beneficial at times to speak to someone who can reflect from a religious/spiritual viewpoint.

So what you're saying is that no one will ever disagree with a chaplain? It seems pretty unfair to only have 1 viewpoint to influence you, so wouldn't disagreements between members actually be better for you? Also, it's incredibly likely that another person of christian faith will be in your corps that can reflect from a religious/spiritual viewpoint.

To be honest the only reason I would NOT take a chaplain on tour is because it's one more mouth to feed on tour(costs the members money). And since I don't think you technically need one at all, why bother? (YES, you do need food truck people and staff members, so they don't count :smile: ) Since money is a huge issue with corps members and prospective members(me being one of them), I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible.

And In case you're wondering, I'm technically a Methodist, but I'm incredibly skeptical of religious practices. (Also, I hope this doesn't get doomed into an impending atheism vs. theism argument :thumbup: )

Roman Blenski still requires every kid to attend church on Sunday during tours or weekends together. You have your pick of Catholic or Lutheran. Atheist, agnostic, buddist or whatever, you still are going to either the Lutheran service or the Catholic Mass ... or it's the highway. Same deal as when I marched in Pioneer 30 years ago.

Has anyone ever taken the highway? A couple of people now have said they'd be out of there the first time someone said they had no choice but to go to a Christian church if they didn't want to, or flat out weren't Christian. Seems a bit draconian. Just curious on how many might have bailed on Pioneer for this. The ultimate question being, is it a good policy to enforce a particular religion as a membership requirement? I'm sure Roman feels it's an important thing, but from a competetive POV maybe it's contributing to the perennial bottom slot?

(Also, I hope this doesn't get doomed into an impending atheism vs. theism argument :thumbup: )

I really, really wanted to respond to a post that sort of ticked me off earlier, but desisted to try to avoid exactly that.

That's cool that that's their thing; I like Pioneer a lot. However, that would be a deal-breaker for me if I were younger again and thinking of marching Pioneer.

Every corps has a criteria one must meet to join. Nothing wrong with a corps setting the bar a little higher. To belong you have to accept going to church the same way you have to accept other values. In this day and age its easy to separate "beliefs" and "values" but they stem from the same.

Of course I could be bias wanting to see an all redheaded Irish Catholic Corps take the field!

This is like 4 hours too late...but whatever

Because there's a difference between having a physical/mental problem and a faith-based problem.

I don't necessarily think you NEED a chaplain, but that's just me I guess. If God is everywhere and can see everything you do...why don't you just talk to him? :thumbup:

You can talk to God, but sometimes it helps to have someone who's trained to help you listen to what God is saying in return.