Drum Corps and Religion

....this is a topic that has been of some interest to me since I first saw drum corps in 1998. I have often wondered what effect drum corps has on one's religion, especially for those who have marched drum corps. For instance, did drum corps help you to appreciate your faith background even more? Did it push you away from your faith? I know for myself that the lessons I learned in drum corps helped me to appreciate my faith even more (I must say, however, that I am some what biased seeing that I marched corps in the midst of my seminary formation). I can't help but see many ties between religion and the drum corps activity: regimented life-style (to some degree), respect for others (and the activity), perseverence, common bond (brotherhood/sisterhood), etc.

Lastly, I am wondering, if it were possible (and I understand it was like this in the past for some corps), to have religious chaplains in the activity. What I mean is, could it be of some advantage to drum corps participants if there were chaplains available for members to talk to during the season?

What are your thoughts.....?

I just thought it was time to remember what the purpose of this thread was at one time, a long time ago and far, far away.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Geddy Lee of Rush said it best:

You can choose a ready guide from some celestial voice

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill

I must choose a path that's clear

I will choose free will

Are you saying that a corps shouldn't accept the volunteering chaplain because a volunteering certified councellor would be better, even if none have volunteered?

Of course not. Many corps find it hard enough to get enough cooks on tour, so discussing a chaplain is about as practical as discussing the gourmet chef, isn’t it?

What I obviously am saying that if – big if – there was a choice in the matter a counsellor would be better. If a chaplain is the only thing available, why not? I’m sure they would be helpful to some, if not all members, and that’s still a good thing. But as I said earlier, he/she may scare away the non-Christian kids that want to talk out a problem. A counsellor is less likely to do that.

First - read the rest of my posts.

Second. If you agree to join Pioneer you are in fact “forced” to go to church. Kids agree to that up front, but I don’t know what would happen if you had a Damascus moment mid-tour and decided you really wanted to be a Hindu. Probably wouldn’t go over too well…..

Third – drum corps teaches a lot of life lessons. Why does religion have to be a part of it when it’s such an individual thing?

Fourth – if your faith is so weak that a few weeks on a bus can shake it and it has to be reinforced even during tour (where instructors are probably clamouring for all the practice time they can squeeze out of a day) then maybe there’s a problem with your faith?

Sorry but it’s been OK for people to talk about “walking with God” in this thread and non-believers “not getting it”, but it hasn’t been so OK to speak against religion.

1. Look up the definition of "forced."

2. You clearly have issues. Your posts seem to have an angry vibe to them.

3. I'll pray for you.

Of course not. Many corps find it hard enough to get enough cooks on tour, so discussing a chaplain is about as practical as discussing the gourmet chef, isn’t it?

What I obviously am saying that if – big if – there was a choice in the matter a counsellor would be better. If a chaplain is the only thing available, why not? I’m sure they would be helpful to some, if not all members, and that’s still a good thing. But as I said earlier, he/she may scare away the non-Christian kids that want to talk out a problem. A counsellor is less likely to do that.

fair enough -- although I would add that the opposite may be true for some folks -- some folks would actually prefer to speak to a spiritual advisor and be turned off/uncomfortable by a "secular" counsellor, so if you "chose" one over the other, you still might not serve everyone. Obviously, both would be best, but either is better than neither. :thumbup:

Edited by Liam

3. I'll pray for you.

1 - if it's a case of "go to church or hit the road" - that's forced. Note also I said the kids understood that was a requirement up front.

2 - The fact I don't agree with your worldview does not constitute an issue on my part. The fact that you believe that may constitute an issue on yours though.

3 - That's either very kind or very patronizing. I'm not sure which....

fair enough -- although I would add that the opposite may be true for some folks -- some folks would actually prefer to speak to a spiritual advisor and be turned off/uncomfortable by a "secular" counsellor, so if you "chose" one over the other, you still might not serve everyone. Obviously, both would be better, but either is better than neither. :thumbup:

Agreed on the last point.

I suspect that religious types would have less problem speaking with a counsellor than non-religious types would with a chaplain. The chaplain may serve the needs of the Christian kids better overall. Fortunately drum corps is not restricted to Christian denominations (although is Pioneer kinda doing that with the church requirement?)

I think Geddy Lee of Rush said it best:

You can choose a ready guide from some celestial voice

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill

I must choose a path that's clear

I will choose free will

Technically it was Neil Peart who said it because he wrote the lyrics. Geddy just sang them - wonderfully. :thumbup:

3. I'll pray for you.

ugh

1 - if it's a case of "go to church or hit the road" - that's forced. Note also I said the kids understood that was a requirement up front.

2 - The fact I don't agree with your worldview does not constitute an issue on my part. The fact that you believe that may constitute an issue on yours though.

3 - That's either very kind or very patronizing. I'm not sure which....

1. Look up the definition of "forced." Really. It would be cruel and totally unproductive to "force" church on anyone.

2. I was not referring to your world view, I was referring to the tone of your posts... sort of angry sounding, IMO.

3. I meant it... and already did it. Sorry if it came off otherwise.