Cavaliers 60th Anniv - CAC888

There are two sets of "younger guys." The ones in the Anniversary Corps (who marched in the late 80s through mid 90s) and the guys in the current competitive corps (we affectionately call them the "junior corps" or the "feeder corps").

Some of us just call them The Cavaliers :tongue:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm STILL looking for some great stories from the other alumni corps about their experiences, stories that came out of the adventure.

Here's one. We have several guys who, in their interest in marching with their buddies, have lost some MAJOR weight...upwards of 50 -60 lbs in one case, but also getting some old injuries repaired and generally getting in shape. In one case a snare drummer aggravated an old injury by overplaying, decided he needed shoulder surgery and couldn't march, but while being diagnosed for that part they discovered he'd had a mile heart attack. Had he not started with the corps he might have just keeled over one day. We like to think this might actually be helping extend some lives.

What do The Cavaliers call us?

The Age Out Corps?

Well, this thread should be about the CAC and not taken over by the Mad alum or the Kingsmen or 27... etc. It's just fun to read about what's happening to YOU guys this year, as it was last year with Kingsmen and us in '06.

To give the short version for me and not intending to infringe... my participation in our alumni project was without a doubt one of the very best things for my mind, heart and soul to be lucky enough to do again. And to capture those memories again by DOING them again just like 20+ years ago. It was an honor...a challenge... a heck of an experience... a dream come true... a "stepping back into my life when I was 20 years old" ... and so many more things. It all felt just so right and normal and natural to be walking into a practice again.

Visit the Historical thread of DCP, or the Alumni section and search for the MSARP posts and threads and you can read about our experience there.

I'm excited for the CAC... the "big show" will be a mind bender for you guys... :unsure:

The mind bender is a good analogy. I already think I'm nuts for getting out on the field again. However, all of this is so worth it. My wife even gets to be a groupie this time around.

Edited by Gray3

The mind bender is a good analogy. I already think I'm nuts for getting out on the field again. However, all of this is so worth it. My wife even gets to be a groupie this time around.

Well, I have no metrics to back this up, but I am aware of at least ONE for SURE (Bari extraordinair Dave Ramthun and his wife Roma) and heard there were a few others: nine months after our performance a few of the guys and their wives did "add to the family" shall we say... :tongue: ... so watch the "groupie effect." LMAO!

Edited by GGarrett

Well, I have no metrics to back this up, but I am aware of at least ONE for SURE (Bari extraordinair Dave Ranthum and his wife Roma) and heard there were a few others: nine months after our performance a few of the guys and their wives did "add to the family" shall we say... :tongue: ... so watch the "groupie effect." LMAO!

I'll back you up on that one Geno!

Also - be careful the weight comes back...

I'm STILL looking for some great stories from the other alumni corps about their experiences, stories that came out of the adventure.

Some thoughts about my experience in the MSARP in 2006, from the first rehearsal, seeing all those

"Madison Corps" jackets again, reconnecting with old brothers, meeting new brothers...some

of them legends in the activity, like Chris Metzger, Shaun Owens, Jon Schipper, the Ramthun

brothers,...original members from 1938 - Richard Goldberg and William Gandt. The energy and

intensityof rehearsals, the antics...especially the "Yee-Haw Summb#tches" in the Cymbal line...

After our last run through, playing Never Walk for the drums, guard, fans, and seeing people tearing up!!!

Tholo getting his comeupance from the contra line...all the times hearing Stewart say "Ooookay, listen up"

and being inspired by him every time...Ferrie telling us stories from the 70s, including the Trans Am incident...

Singing the imfamous hornline song on the bus on the way to Camp Randall..learning some

of the songs from the 70s guys...stepping out on that field again - to a crowd that was deafening at times...

the hit in Malaguena - the crowd so loud we could barely hear ourselves...and yes losing some weight...

although probably not as much as you guys in the CAC - we only had 11 rehearsal days and not as

much drill as you guys are marching.

It was a tremendous experience for me, and like Geno said, it was like instantly

transforming into a 20 year old again. The performances were great, but even greater was the bond

with the brotherhood and the tradition! I hope you guys have as great of a time together. Savor

every last bit of it because it goes by sooo fast!

Madison Scouts Alumni Project on DCI.org