Any LEWISBURG Reviews?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a quick review since I am writing a more formal review for DCW that will be posted to DCP. Here it goes:

Very nice field here at Bucknell University as this was the 6th Annual Cavalcade of Champions here in Lewisburg, PA. Here is how the evening went:

A combined HS band performed the opening ceremonies of the National Anthem and a tribute to the military. Very well performed and it got the crowd into the activity (BTW, the crowd was near capacity).

Next up was the Commandant's Own Marine D&B Corps. They put on a very nice show and the crowd was very receptive. Their book for Malaquena is very interesting and the sopranos were hot.

First up in the competition was Reading Bucs who set the stage for the rest to follow getting the newest highest score of 86.263 (0 penalties) and Josh Decker took home high Drum Major honors. The corps was more smooth in their presentation than when I saw them in Manassas. Percussion was hot and very expressive. Brass was outstanding as always and they are improving week after week. Color guard had a strong evening and once they fill in all of the work (missing some minor transition pieces) this corps will continue to reign supreme.

Empire took the stage next with their tribute show and it was very entertaining. The crowd liked their wide open performance and the tribute to their past DCA Championship shows. I thought the brass had a good evening but the passages get a little long at times as they transition from different season of shows. Percussion was also very expressive and dynamic but a little more dirt was in evidence. Color guard was very cool but they too suffered from needing more cleaning to get all of the tricks to work. I am not in love with the guard uniforms (just my opinin), I think they hid more then accentuate. Over all the program has many bright moments and if they can get the work together should move up in the rankings. Tonight EMpire was third behind Cabs with a 82.063.

Cabs were on third tonight and they truly impressed the crowd this evening. Lewisburg loves their Caballeros. Tonight the show was outstanding in total with a lot of little breakdowns in brass and percussion. Color guard seemed a bit off tonight so I am wondering if a lot of new stuff was added recently. Cabs to top Honor Guard tonight and second in the competition with an 83.15 -- note, the Cabs suffered a loss last week at the death of a member who died on Sunday due to an accident. I was unable to get her name but I am sure it will show up in DCP soon.

Rounding out the competition was the Buschwackers with their original music to their intriguing Gypsy show. They had a good night overall but their color guard had an outstanding evening. They number around 32 members and they are very talented with a strong book. Brass also has a strong book that they are trying to make work on the field with less than ideal member numbers but the program has some real teeth and could surprise a few corps. Percussion was very expressive and they worked it well, not bowled over by everything (yet) but it does make one sit up and enjoy the ride.

After the competition was a exhibition of Preston Scout House Alumni Band who by the way performed at the very first Calvacade show in 1956 and for many years afterwards. The crowd ate them up with their very nicely performed musical program (my other article will spend more time on them along with two interviews of some members). They are a fun bunch of people and the show was warmly received.

Last was the Caballeros Allumni Corps and they had the joint hoping from the moment Jim Russo enter the field. The one somber note was when the corps performed Taps for the young lady who died last week prior to the corps warm-up. From that moment on it was all guns ablazing and with Jimmy adding his lovable little routines on the podium (he still has a way of energyzing the crowd). Brass and percussion were on their game. Color guard was good overall but some elements are not 100 percent on their game (just yet).

It was a full corps retreat this evening (weather was hot during the day but passable in the evening). Reading performed an encore after everyone left the field.

Good times were had by all in attendance.

Just wondering how the corps are shaping up at midseason ...

This is a quick review since I am writing a more formal review for DCW that will be posted to DCP. Here it goes:

Very nice field here at Bucknell University as this was the 6th Annual Cavalcade of Champions here in Lewisburg, PA. Here is how the evening went:

A combined HS band performed the opening ceremonies of the National Anthem and a tribute to the military. Very well performed and it got the crowd into the activity (BTW, the crowd was near capacity).

Next up was the Commandant's Own Marine D&B Corps. They put on a very nice show and the crowd was very receptive. Their book for Malaquena is very interesting and the sopranos were hot.

First up in the competition was Reading Buccaneers who set the stage for the rest to follow getting the newest highest score of 86.263 (0 penalties) and Josh Decker took home high Drum Major honors. The corps was more smooth in their presentation than when I saw them in Manassas. Percussion was hot and very expressive. Brass was outstanding as always and they are improving week after week. Color guard had a strong evening and once they fill in all of the work (missing some minor transition pieces) this corps will continue to reign supreme.

Empire Statesmen took the stage next with their tribute show and it was very entertaining. The crowd liked their wide open performance and the tribute to their past DCA Championship shows. I thought the brass had a good evening but the passages get a little long at times as they transition from different season of shows. Percussion was also very expressive and dynamic but a little more dirt was in evidence. Color guard was very cool but they too suffered from needing more cleaning to get all of the tricks to work. I am not in love with the guard uniforms (just my opinin), I think they hid more then accentuate. Over all the program has many bright moments and if they can get the work together should move up in the rankings. Tonight EMpire was third behind Cabs with a 82.063 (0 penalties).

The Caballeros were on third tonight and they truly impressed the crowd this evening. Lewisburg loves their Caballeros. Tonight the show was outstanding in total with a lot of little breakdowns in brass and percussion. Color guard seemed a bit off tonight so I am wondering if a lot of new stuff was added recently. Cabs to top Honor Guard tonight and second in the competition with an 83.15 (0 penalties)-- note, the Cabs suffered a loss last week at the death of a member who died on Sunday due to an accident. I was unable to get her name but I am sure it will show up in DCP soon.

Rounding out the competition was the Bushwackers with their original music to their intriguing Gypsy show. They had a good night overall but their color guard had an outstanding evening. They number around 32 members and they are very talented with a strong book. Brass also has a strong book that they are trying to make work on the field with less than ideal member numbers but the program has some real teeth and could surprise a few corps. Percussion was very expressive and they worked it well, not bowled over by everything (yet) but it does make one sit up and enjoy the ride. Bush finished fourth wity a 78.338 (0 penalties).

After the competition was a exhibition of Preston Scout House Alumni Band who by the way performed at the very first Calvacade show in 1956 and for many years afterwards. The crowd ate them up with their very nicely performed musical program (my other article will spend more time on them along with two interviews of some members). They are a fun bunch of people and the show was warmly received.

Last was the Caballeros Allumni Corps and they had the joint hoping from the moment Jim Russo enter the field. The one somber note was when the corps performed Taps for the young lady who died last week prior to the corps warm-up. From that moment on it was all guns ablazing and with Jimmy adding his lovable little routines on the podium (he still has a way of energyzing the crowd). Brass and percussion were on their game. Color guard was good overall but some elements are not 100 percent on their game (just yet).

It was a full corps retreat this evening (weather was hot during the day but passable in the evening). Reading performed an encore after everyone left the field.

Good times were had by all in attendance.

Just wondering how the corps are shaping up at midseason ...

Sorry about the duplication, I wanted to add something before it went out and I thought I grabbed it in time.

:thumbup:

Small clarification to my review. The Cavalcade of Champions was started in 1949 and was sponsored by the Keystoners D&B Corps, Preston Scout House's first performance was in 1956 which was the 8th Annual Cavalcade of Champions. Scout House performed nine times at the Calvacade show with their last performance in 1966.

Just wanted to be accurate. :thumbup:

Thanks for the review, Bill. Great work (as usual).

Thanks for the great review...

The lady's name is Elie Dube. She is a member of the Cabs Alumni Color Guard .

She was tragically killed in a motor vehicle accident on the way home from The Grand Prix last Saturday Night.

We lost one of our family..

Thanks for the kind words.

Frank did a great job on taps for Ellie...

We dedicated the show to her as well..

RUMP :thumbup::music::smile:

Thanks for the review Bill. It was in 1962 that I first experienced Scout House at Lewisburg. You just brought back fond memories

J

Small clarification to my review. The Cavalcade of Champions was started in 1949 and was sponsored by the Keystoners D&B Corps, Preston Scout House's first performance was in 1956 which was the 8th Annual Cavalcade of Champions. Scout House performed nine times at the Calvacade show with their last performance in 1966.

"Lewisburg Review 2008":

Great job. :music:

Elphaba

Thank you for this information, I could not find it on the web and I want it in my full review. Please accept DCW's Management & Staff condolences to the Dube family and to the great Cabs organization on your loss.

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal."

Thanks for the great review...

The lady's name is Elie Dube. She is a member of the Cabs Alumni Color Guard .

She was tragically killed in a motor vehicle accident on the way home from The Grand Prix last Saturday Night.

We lost one of our family..

Thanks for the kind words.

Frank did a great job on taps for Ellie...

We dedicated the show to her as well..

RUMP :thumbup::music::smile: