Best Musical Moments of 2008

Bluecoat's hit. Sorry, this thread should be closed right there.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are several "magical" moments this year. I particularly like the Blue Devils' "wandering drill member" idea but, musically, nothing has yet come close to the Blue Stars' warmup. Sure, I'm an alum and proud to see them "back", but this gives me chills. Hopefully, it will make the APD/VPD.

Edited by KeyboardGuy

Out of ALL the corps/shows of 2008, you think the Cavalier's pitch bending is one of the best musical moments?!? Wow...

PS. The reason we say the Cavies are not as loud as, lets see, PR, BD, Cadets, Crown, and probably more is because THEY AREN'T!!! Very balanced, SUPER clear, and in tune but they cant touch the power some of these hornlines are putting out. Hands down, case closed.

YES, I do think that is one of the best musical moments for me. It is a very clever (and difficult) way to create tension and release and was just beautiful. To bend the pitch a 1/2 step and hold it for several seconds in tune is very challenging and they do it very well. And the way it fits into the overall program is a very special moment for me. But then musicality is very much a personal opinion.

As for volume, the case is not closed. At San Antonio, they were the 2nd loudest corps of the night. YES, I do mean 2nd loudest. Now I will give Devils and Phantom credit for being very loud more frequently in their shows than the Cavaliers were, but there were two moments where Cavaliers were louder than anything else that had been on before them in the contest. Crown however, eclipsed them in volume as soon as they played their opening hit.

One tip for listening in a dome, cup your hands behind your ears. It improves the clarity and impact tremendously and the middle range. As soon as I would move my hands, everything sounded like a blanket was thrown over the sound. :grouphug:

Cavaliers. Entire Show.

PWNED

I actually do agree. The whole show, minus the ending, is very musical. From percussion to horns, they sound and perform great. I'd say the coolest moment is the pitch bend section. Coolest effect. I love all the subtle musical lines the baritones have throughout the show.

Phantom has some great music moments (its great music...)

Crown, dunno when in the show, they are in a block near the front of the field side two, and just brass are playing, really loud.

Cadets mellos, cool stuff.

Phantom mello solo. One of the best.

Ever.