Speaking of Lawrence...

I can't be 100% sure, but I believe that the double toms the OP referred to were actually the horizontally mounted tuned bass drums (to concert G and D) that Tony Smith played back in the day (for instance on the beginning of La Mancha). They were the predecessors of tuned membranophones like the marching timps that followed a couple of years later and a tribute both to the genius of Jerry Shellmer and the courage of the late '60s Crusaders, who accepted penalties for marching mallets before the AL and VFW accepted them. I'm sure that the pit would eventually have evolved, but Boston was "instrumental" (if you'll pardon the play on words) in the expansion of the percussion palette during the late '60s. And yes, there was whining and griping about their inception back then, just as there was eventually about 2 valves, 3 valves, Bb and mixed keyed instruments, and amplification - a subject that I admit I whine and gripe about to this day.

You talking about these babies ?

1d3dfb15-e1e2-4ac0-84f3-5ce0332c277.jpg

I guess I can still ask how many horns ya got also !!! (43... very cool)

I heard there was a set of double bass kicking around when you wuz back at the Cardinal Cushing School So Boston in late 90's. It would be nice to get the "Prince of Tenor Drums" Freddie Cabral to play those puppies !!

It's going to be a big BAC week for me. DCA show with BAC sr and then DCI with BAC and BAC Sr.

I can't be 100% sure, but I believe that the double toms the OP referred to were actually the horizontally mounted tuned bass drums (to concert G and D) that Tony Smith played back in the day (for instance on the beginning of La Mancha). They were the predecessors of tuned membranophones like the marching timps that followed a couple of years later and a tribute both to the genius of Jerry Shellmer and the courage of the late '60s Crusaders, who accepted penalties for marching mallets before the AL and VFW accepted them. I'm sure that the pit would eventually have evolved, but Boston was "instrumental" (if you'll pardon the play on words) in the expansion of the percussion palette during the late '60s. And yes, there was whining and griping about their inception back then, just as there was eventually about 2 valves, 3 valves, Bb and mixed keyed instruments, and amplification - a subject that I admit I whine and gripe about to this day.

I heard there was a set of double bass kicking around when you wuz back at the Cardinal Cushing School So Boston in late 90's. It would be nice to get the "Prince of Tenor Drums" Freddie Cabral to play those puppies !!

It's going to be a big BAC week for me. DCA show with BAC sr and then DCI with BAC and BAC Sr.

ooops how did I do that ? double post

Edited by drumline9

I do beleive the person playing those drums in the picture, Mr. Tony Smith, will be present at Mission Drums as a judge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JOHN "CUPCAKES" CURRAN

"A LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND"

(and the minds of countless others)

I do beleive the person playing those drums in the picture, Mr. Tony Smith, will be present at Mission Drums as a judge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JOHN "CUPCAKES" CURRAN

"A LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND"

(and the minds of countless others)

I just read that you just got out of the hospital. I hope the procedure was a success and that you're on your way to good health. I'm sure you won't be able to make the Lawrence show, but hopefully you'll be recovered in time to get to some shows this year.

I was thinking..... I was in the Majestic Knights which ended up merging with Kevins. That makes me sort of a Kevin's Cousin. You were in Prince the same time that I was, and now my Crusaders Seniors are sponsored by the Prince VFW Post. That makes you sort of a Crusader Cousin. So does that make us brothers from a different mother? As you can tell, I've too much time on my hands!

Be well, Cupcakes,

Art K.

so upset my corps isn't going!

Being originally from Boston i would have loved to have a home show for all of my old friends to come :-(

Maybe next year...i'm going to have to push my corps director to us to go next year.

Marching Harrisburg Gay Pride will just have to substiute ;-)