Do New Ending Really Matter...score wise?

As corps come out of spring training, with say the exception of a few, like BD (who typically will have more time from January on to complete a show)...

Hi,

Can you explain what you mean by this statement about BD? Not flaming, just don't understand it.

Thanks,

I think new endings can help in the way of GE, but can hurt in performance, so it evens out.

I remember BDs new ending to their Train show this decade, and I enjoyed it. It didn't cahnge more than 30 seconds of their show though.

Just for the record, it doesn't hurt your chances of winning. We had a new ending made only for Finals night in 1989. It changed about...the final 15 seconds of our show. We use to collapse to the ground with the phantom tarp, but for Finals we "imploded" it, brought out two black tunnels, and then ran off the field with the tarp and collapsed the tunnels. I was a phantom tarp operator, so I'm pretty sure I remember it correctly. :tongue:

i have wondered if this hurt Vanguard in '04. to be honest, i believe it depends when in the season you make the change and how drastic it is. when i marched, we extended our ending by just a few bars, threw in some fast drill and it worked, but it was significantly different, and it was always the intended ending, we just put what we were doing to have something instead of standing still early season.

when a corps puts something out late in the season, even waiting until finals week, the judges have no chance to get an early read on it and may not always get the intention of it. can this hurt the number on the piece of paper? depends on the day, the judge, the buffet ($1 to Max Sheridan) and if the new ending seems to work or not.

It is interesting that you mentioned that. They beat Blue Devils that year with their old ending earlier in the season... right before they put on their new ending, and then they never beat BD again that year. They came close, but never did it.

Unless of course, you were referring to the quiet ending they added for Finals week. I don't think that ending hurt them... in fact, I think it made more sense (seeing as how it was more like the music) AND the did a magic trick!!! They had not done those in a while.

Hi,

Can you explain what you mean by this statement about BD? Not flaming, just don't understand it.

Thanks,

I think he means BD does not have to shovel the snow off the practice field for the first few months of the year, thereby having more practice time.

It is interesting that you mentioned that. They beat Blue Devils that year with their old ending earlier in the season... right before they put on their new ending, and then they never beat BD again that year. They came close, but never did it.

Unless of course, you were referring to the quiet ending they added for Finals week. I don't think that ending hurt them... in fact, I think it made more sense (seeing as how it was more like the music) AND the did a magic trick!!! They had not done those in a while.

i indeed meant the quiet ending for finals week...how many different endings were there?