Ugh! OC food trailer breaks down on highway

Oregon Crusaders started re-started their tour heading east today around 1:00pm. About 4-5 hours out of Portland the trailer that serves as their food truck blew a tire and lost it's axle. When my son phoned they were getting ready to move the food into a rented box truck. At this point I'm not sure what this means for the tour. He was brief, not wanting to use up his cell battery, since the objective was to drive straight thru to Laramie, WY. It will be interesting to see what happens from here. Repairs to the trailer will take time.. This is not what the Corps needed. The cost to tow/repair the trailer, rent a box truck, and work around feeding the Corps is a major setback. The kids were so excited to get back into competition. Just have to wait to see what the plans are going forward. Think good thoughts for the kids, staff, and volunteers.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is really unfortunate. I am definitely thinking good thought for everyone in OC.

Just got through texting with my son about this.. He says the cook staff has arranged church or school kitchens along the way. Hopefully the trailer will get fixed and can catch up. Everything is transferred into a u-haul truck for now.

I've never marched with them, but Crusaders are basically my home corps. (I'm from Springfield, Oregon) That sucks, since they're still trying to raise $25,000 just to go to Nat's.

That's a real bummer. I really hope they get things fixed soon.

They are still going down the road, although they has one other mechanical snafu. They are behind schedule, but they don't perform until Saturday, so I guess if something had to go wrong that this part of the trip would be the best time to have that happen.

Guaranteed they will still rock the Open Class this year though!!!

As someone who has been a cook on the road for the Oregon Crusaders, this is a major disappointment for the volunteer cooks that prepare the meals for the corps. Before the Crusaders had the cook trailer, they carried everything in pickup trucks, bays of the busses and had refrigerators in the equipment truck. It was very difficult to set up the kitchen on the road and we were very limited on the types of meals we could prepare. When they added the cook trailer, it made things a lot easier for everyone. The trailer has a sink with hot water. There are two ovens and big grill. The trailer has a generator and refrigeration. Not having that trailer is a major pain in the ### to all the volunteer cooks.

On the Oregon Crusaders website they are asking for assistance to help them get there trailer fixed and back to them. They need someone to deliver some parts and drive the fixed trailer to them. If you are interested or know someone who could do this, there is contact information on the website.

www.oregoncrusaders.org

I feel very bad for this corps.

Should they be touring when $ is so tight for them?

Wouldn't it be a good idea for DCI to have a fund to help corps in emergency situations?

Wouldn't it be a good idea for DCI to have a fund to help corps in emergency situations?

DCI should have an emergency fund set up for unforseen emergencies. But it should also be set up so that whatever expenses occur that the corps be responsible to pay back the monies including interest. DCI is not in business to bail out bad situations but they should be there to help should an emergency arise.