Just a quick clarification - Spirit did Gone with the Wind in 1990 not the Color Purple. I bellieve they used a color purple song in 1986.

Oops, sorry about the confusion!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a 90 Dutch Boy alum, I am flattered by all the praise.

Our feeling getting finals that year was as if we had won the whole darn thing. We were jubilant to make it to a Saturday show. The place-swapping we did with Boston, Freelancers and Blue Knights was insane, but a kick-butt 2nd half of the season redeemed us.

Even though we felt like we should have beaten them by just a lil teensy bit, Spirit earned their place, with power coming off their amazing percussion and fantastic use of Visual GE. We had, in my opinion, better color guard and excellent brass performance, with one heck of a horn book.

When you balance it out, that's how 11th and 12th fell.

I don't know about my other breatheren, but I personally have no regrets. We left it out there...our way.

That being said, Cadets deserved to win that year. I felt finals were judged very fairly in 1990.

I think following 89, that 90 can seem like an off year.

89 was one of those years where everyone was good, just an awesome season.

But 90 had a lot of great shows, and alot of great half shows.

Cadets had a fun show, a little bit of everything from their 4 previous winning shows.

Regiment had Bacchanale

SCV did Carmen, a really underrated show

BD did Tommy, which alot of BD fans didn't care for, but I actually liked alot and still listen to.

There is alot there

I saw my first DCI show in 1990, the Cadets, and I was hooked for life.

But the thing that stands out to me?

The old farts sitting behind me rattling on and on about a show in 1972. And I'm thinking, THAT WAS EIGHTEEN YEARS AGO. WHO THE **** CARES?

And just a few weeks ago in Atlanta, I was sitting with my buddy rattling on and on about the Cadets in 1990, and a teenager sitting near us caught my eye. He didn't say it, but I'm sure he was thinking, THAT WAS EIGHTEEN YEARS AGO, WHO THE **** CARES! Spooky....