If you can YouTube the following, it might have an impact on your opinion:

1. BD's last 30 seconds of Tommy (insanity)

2. Star of Indiana's closer (I can help with that one right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIPEI7pKK_I)

3. Cavaliers (opener, drum solo, closer)

4. Cadets (Maria)

5. Dutch Boy

6. Scouts (I can cook too)

7. Boston Crusaders (50th; wow)

IMO, 1991 was a low water mark. Then again, my fave year (1986) is pointed to by another poster as a "down year." Eye of the beholder.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well no surprise that people will disagree with my OP. It's just my opinion. I can't put my finger on it, the year just leaves me cold. There just seems to be boundless energy and emotion in 89 - intensity and power in 91, but nothing much in 90. There are as i mentined a couple of good shows and the rest seem lacking somehow. But hey! its only an opinion.

interesting...most people's memory of a past event is beheld by their own personal experience(s). Perhaps you had something else that happend to you in 1990 that might have influenced your overall perception. Perhaps corps wasnt flat, but something else might have flattened it for you.

No way is 1990 a down year, IMO. Loved Garfield's return to a Bernstein musical book; loved Cavies' program to John Rutter's music; Star of Indiana not my favorite, but still good; loved Blue Devils' rendition of "Tommy" (just coming at jazz from a different direction); (edit: I was getting this year confused with another) love this Phantom show and actually could have seen them placing higher; enjoyed Santa Clara's interpretation of "Carmen"; liked Crossmen and Bluecoats equally, and for about the same reasons; not one of my favorite Madison shows, but I remember liking them; for some reason, I'm not remembering this VK show; enjoyed Spirit of Atlanta's take on "The Color Purple"; and was thrilled to see a Canadian corps -- Dutchboy -- finally in finals again.

No, not a down year at all, IMO! :smile:

Just a quick clarification - Spirit did Gone with the Wind in 1990 not the Color Purple. I bellieve they used a color purple song in 1986.

IMO, 1991 was a low water mark. Then again, my fave year (1986) is pointed to by another poster as a "down year." Eye of the beholder.

See, I loved '90 and '91, but was underwhelmed by '92. And it was sad, to me, because that was DCI's 20th anniversary, yet there was dirt everywhere as far as the eye could see. The justification was that corps were trying things that were too hard, and nearly pulling them off, but not quite. That just didn't sit well with me, and for that reason '92 was the year I started loving drum corps a little less.

Just a quick clarification - Spirit did Gone with the Wind in 1990 not the Color Purple. I bellieve they used a color purple song in 1986.

There was some Color Purple in '90..most notably "Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child".

1990 was my first year going to Finals, and I have to say I think it was a year where no one really had a show that you remember, or is one of your favorites. Sort of like 2007. It was very close in the top 6. The Cadets were the cleanest, so they won, which was fine.

My favorite moment of the year was the first horn impact of The Cavaliers. During Quarter finals I was pushed back into my seat.

I refuse to believe the year I aged out is being discussed in the Historical Forum. I am still a kid.

I refuse to believe the last show I ever marched is in the historical forum. Meet me in the sandbox Jonnyboy! :smile: I hear we're getting ice cream to make us feel better because we all had a down year .... or something

Whoops I mean '90 Star.

I think next to '89, where the top six shows were pretty much "legendary", '90 may seem like a downer. But there is some magic in there. Cadets did the quintessential Bernstein show, so we now compare any performance of Bernstein to Cadets '90. That's pretty special. Crossmen with New York Voices was amazing, in my opinion. One of my favorite shows musically (we even did a chunk of that music here at Navy). And Madison's "Remembrance" is still on my short list of tunes to do someday.

Jeff

1990 has always been my favorite year but this is probably because I had never heard of drum corps until I went to a show that summer. 2008 may be the only year that has blown me away as much or more than '90.