The Academy, Official 2008 Discussion Thread

I understand your point about the member (and potential members) along with the band directors. But any successful corps understands that they can't just rely on the members to support the corps. There is a lot of fundraising that has to go on to keep these corps going (this is true of any nonprofit).

The best way to raise funds is build connection and commitment from your community and ultimately your donors. The Academy is really fighting an uphill battle right now because they have a very short history and not much visibility in the general community (outside the bandies...). So, again, I applaud Academy's leadership for realizing that there is much more to lasting success for the Academy than whether they end up placing 10th, 15th or 20th this year. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to the day that Academy is in finals (and maybe even wins it all), but in the end, I'm going to be more proud of them still competing 20 years from now.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One other point...

The corps that I was involved with that went belly up did not do so because they couldn't attract members, it was because they couldn't raise enough funds. And the corps members were paying something on the order of what the Academy members pay. It has to be fundraising, fundraising, fundraising!!!

I have a report from tour I thought was worth sharing. It looks like the corps passed up a day off yesterday (Sunday) to get in more rehersal. I love the work ethic!!! I hope to see a nice jump tonight.

Now we have a drop tonight of .35 not sure what happened but this is tough to take after the extra rehersal. I know the corps has tons of talent. I hope they keep fighting.

I didn't hear from my daughter tonight, so I don't know what happened. As for AZ being DCI ignorant, when was the last time AZ had a corps? Sunset Regiment back in... '90? I think it was was about time.

It's very strange to see that the Corps is working their butts off, and I'm sure the staff is tweaking the performances according to the judges critiques, but for some reason, it seems like no matter what they do, the judges keep hammering them. They drop an off day for an extra rehearsal, and their scores drop by .35?

Academy is VERY young and they will have growing pains for the next couple of years. Everyone will say "they tried to bite off too much too soon", but if you don't challenge your organization, what are you accomplishing? I think they will go along the same route as Crown. It's taken Crown almost 10 years to be as close to the top as they are this year (given I don't remember what year they moved up), and I think a Championship is within their grasp in the next few years. It took Star of Indiana 7 years to get their Championship, so hopefully Academy will remain strong, and will continue to be watched by everyone. We still have 2 weeks to go, and anything can happen in 3 days at Bloomington.

BTW, PC Scored a 79.?? something tonight, so the gap just got wider, unfortunately. :huh:

Edited by xrock80

The last year that AZ had an active corps until Academy in 2004 was 1992 for Arizona Sun. Sunset Regiment folded in 90. I have heard reports that AZ had other smaller corps prior to that time as well. Which reinforces my other point about Academy making a connection to the community here. They are trying to grow the support for the corps at the same time that they are building a world class organization. Mucho work!!! Also one where there is little room for error when it comes to finances.

One other point -- nothing ever goes up in a straight line. I think that the Academy supporters were a little spoiled (maybe a lot... :tongue: ) The corps started very strong on the field; they went for 3 years undefeated in Division 2 ultimately winning the Div 2 championship. Then they made the jump to Division 1 last year and made a big splash almost making finals and surprising everyone. Now they are having some difficulty; the show is not going as planned, they may be design flaws, lots of people are questioning.... Sort sounds like another growth opportunity.

All I have to say is hang in there Academy. This is drum corps!!! (and it's worth it :worthy: )

Again I don't think the issue is the kids and the staff may not have the goal of winning in DCI. I know that sounds weird but maybe they are in it for the kids. If on the other hand they are in it to be competitive then the work ethic needs some tweaking. I can only go by what I have seen at rehearsals. The attention to detail in the marching needs to be more focused.

I want the best for them as I think this year is a learning year on what not to do. I know from one of my friends who's daughter is in the colorguard that at one show prior to Atlanta one of the staff turned their back on the entire corp. The kids noticed it and took it pretty hard.

This type of action would result in a termination if I caught a staff member doing it. I know these kids work their buns off and deserve to be treated with respect and dignity.

I hope they learn and build from this...How they recover will tell a lot about the future of the corp. If recruiting drops dramatically, or kids leave to other corps in a mass exit then we might be seeing the end of the corp as we know it.

I hope I am wrong!

I forgot about Arizona Sun... I was thinking there was another but I just couldn't place them.

I spoke with my daughter after the Atlanta show, and the atmosphere was very jubilant. I could hear a lot of laughing and joking, and my daughter's spirits were high, even when the "extra rehearsal" rumor reared up. I know the kids are giving it their best, and I think they have gotten to the point that the judging and scores aren't what's important, but the activity and work/performance ethic is. No one doubts that the crowds like the show.

Edited by xrock80

Copper Star folded in 2001.

But like I said, everybody in this state looks up very highly to them! So it does not matter what place they finished, because as I said earlier nobody pays too much attention to DCI. They are still the best marching ensemble in the state and there is no doubt about that.

Although a lot of times it annoys me just how much love directors give these kids(even over people who marched in top 6), and some of their egos; I honestly think that this drum corps has helped raise the level of design/execution/expectations in this state. Arizona is not a leading state in music, nor close to it. But in the last 5 years I have seen some of the medium bands all step up their shows and demands. 5 years ago there were the big 3 (one of which was Mark Richardson's school), and then everyone else. But lately the top 3 have gone done in production but a lot of okay groups have become better.

What this corps does on the field is being judged as un-effective.....but what they do off the field for is effective!

I was talking with a friend not too long ago and the idea came up of Academy having a feeder corps. Although they are young, they have a lot of people try out. The statement came up because now Academy has 2 sets of horns. I would like to see this corps one day offer an open class corps that competes only in Arizona and SoCal. Making it a regional corps only.

Copper Star folded in 2001.

But like I said, everybody in this state looks up very highly to them! So it does not matter what place they finished, because as I said earlier nobody pays too much attention to DCI. They are still the best marching ensemble in the state and there is no doubt about that.

Although a lot of times it annoys me just how much love directors give these kids(even over people who marched in top 6), and some of their egos; I honestly think that this drum corps has helped raise the level of design/execution/expectations in this state. Arizona is not a leading state in music, nor close to it. But in the last 5 years I have seen some of the medium bands all step up their shows and demands. 5 years ago there were the big 3 (one of which was Mark Richardson's school), and then everyone else. But lately the top 3 have gone done in production but a lot of okay groups have become better.

What this corps does on the field is being judged as un-effective.....but what they do off the field for is effective!

I was talking with a friend not too long ago and the idea came up of Academy having a feeder corps. Although they are young, they have a lot of people try out. The statement came up because now Academy has 2 sets of horns. I would like to see this corps one day offer an open class corps that competes only in Arizona and SoCal. Making it a regional corps only.

I don't believe that Copper Star ever competed.

I agree with you on the feeder corps idea. However, I don't think that you are hearing me about the money. I hate to say it, but no matter how effective you are in attracting the members, instructing the members and winning shows, the member fees do NOT pay for the programs. It is fundraising that determines whether a corps (or any nonprofit) makes it longer term!!! Academy is furiously trying to build it's fundraising, but it's difficult in so many ways. They are facing a market (AZ) where fundraising is especially tough (see various articles at AZCentral.com). Add into all of this our bad economy in AZ and you have the Academy leadership in a very difficult position with pressure to "get better" "grow the programs" "expand their tour".

I'm not complaining, only pointing out some realities. I know that I will continue to support Academy with my applause AND with my contributions.