How to keep a successful relationship while touring

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to be honest, in 3 seasons on tour I can't remember anybody that left a boyfriend/girlfriend at home and was faithful to them during the summer. Well, except for one, but she (at home) wasn't faithful to him.

Gosh I thought there was no hooking up on tour - hence the reason they have the boys and girls separated - seriously :) boyfriend tried to use that one

Gosh I thought there was no hooking up on tour - hence the reason they have the boys and girls separated - seriously :) boyfriend tried to use that one

I marched 12 years ago. Things are different now, we were totally isolated from the rest of the world. NO ONE on tour had a cell phone that I knew of. Contact with the outside world was via brief pay-phone calls every few days, or in my case once a month. Don't hang your daughter's boyfriend over an observation from over a decade ago.

When I started dating my BF (of 5 years) he was in drum corps and introduced me to it. Two years later I joined the same corps. We kept the PDA to a minimum when we had to focus on rehearsal and did not let our relationship affect our drum corps responsibilities. We left out some drama and enjoyed each others company when ever we could. We even sat on different buses because he was in percussion and I was a brass player. I had my friends and he had his and we would alternate which ones we would hang out with on free days.

He aged out a year before I did and joined the staff as a drumline tech. This was hard because now I was a student and he was a staff member. It was lonely but we got through it. Some of the staff members that year didn't even realize we were a couple.

Last year I aged out and now he is off on tour without me. We text everyday thanks to Verizon In texting plans and the food truck has wireless internet so he can send emails. Its amazing when you are no longer marching you have nothing to do but miss those who are.

I'm glad he marched while in a relationship otherwise I never would have known about drum corps. Being in a relationship while marching is easy but you have to be mature about it and know what is appropriate and what isn't and when.