Will You Help a Little Old Lady?

It would make better sense if it was determined and announced BEFORE THE SEASON STARTED, or even before corps schedules are set. That way everyone gets fair warning. This year's seeding method is still up in the air as far as we can tell. Why?

I think more scores need to be factored in, not just 3-4. Starting from a first all-corps regional in early July, all scores get averaged with a minimum requirement of, say, 10 shows. (I don't know if that's undershooting or overshooting, so that number could adjust accordingly.) If a corps goes over the minimum by at least 3 shows, they get to drop their two lowest scores.

I also think the regional in San Antonio should be shifted to Denver so that all the all-corps shows are in an outdoor venue. (and trust me, as a resident of Austin I enjoy being able to drive a mere 90 miles to San An to see every world class corps, but I'd rather the activity not use an indoor field as a major scoring/seeding venue!!!)

again, i'm pretty sure (no evidence, just an assumption) that the corps know ahead of time things like this...there is an entire section of the dci website that has tons of info just for the corps' that we never hear about. i would agree that you take the average of the all-corps regionals, though i think adding additional shows and possibly dropping numbers might be too much.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

again, i'm pretty sure (no evidence, just an assumption) that the corps know ahead of time things like this...there is an entire section of the dci website that has tons of info just for the corps' that we never hear about. i would agree that you take the average of the all-corps regionals, though i think adding additional shows and possibly dropping numbers might be too much.

Hmmm. I would be VERY pleasantly surprised if they did in fact know this information. If the info is there, then let's keep emailing DCI and see if we can squeeze it out of them.

OK I did some math.

Here is the average of scores so far under the current format:

Academy: 75.725 (San Antonio) + 77.0 (Atlanta) = 152.725 / 2 (number of regionals attended) = 76.363

Pacific Crest: 75.1 (Long Beach) + 75.15 (San Antonio) + 77.2 (Atlanta) = 227.45 / 3 (number of regionals attended) = 75.817

Troopers: 73.25 (Denver) + 76.425 (San Antonio) + 76.425 (Atlanta) = 226.1 / 3 (number of regionals attended) = 75.367

So the final raking under this system are as follows have Academy above PC and Troopers because they stayed at home. Never ind the fact that Academy has NEVER beaten PC all season long. Never mind the fact that Academy has lost to troopers 4 times this season and beaten them once. This is a perfect example of how some corps can be rewarded by staying at home and not touring. PC and Troopers would have to both beat Academy by around 3 points in order to go on after them at quarter under this seeding format.

Q-finals seeding should be an average of san antonio, atlanta, & allentown. End of story.

OK I did some math.

Academy: 75.725 (San Antonio) + 77.0 (Atlanta) = 152.725 / 2 (number of regionals attended) = 76.363

Pacific Crest: 75.1 (Long Beach) + 75.15 (San Antonio) + 77.2 (Atlanta) = 227.45 / 3 (number of regionals attended) = 75.817

Troopers: 73.25 (Denver) + 76.425 (San Antonio) + 76.425 (Atlanta) = 226.1 / 3 (number of regionals attended) = 75.367

So the final raking under this system are as follows have Academy above PC and Troopers because they stayed at home. Never ind the fact that Academy has NEVER beaten PC all season long. Never mind the fact that Academy has lost to troopers 4 times this season and beaten them once. This is a perfect example of how some corps can be rewarded by staying at home and not touring. PC and Troopers would have to both beat Academy by around 3 points in order to go on after them at quarter under this seeding format.

Q-finals seeding should be an average of san antonio, atlanta, & allentown. End of story.

i don't feel like doing math...does that still leave Pio as first on?

OK I did some math.

BINGO!

This better illustrates my issue.

OK I did some math.

Okay. Out of the closet! This REALLY irks me. How come the Troopers - poster child for DCI (Did more shows than just about anyone last year.....always popular with show coordinators and fans), go out and perform and compete yet, they have one hand tied behind their back because of it. Why tour at $4.59/gal diesel??

This needs fixed!

Granny? Who do I talk to?

Jack

OK I did some math.

Okay. Out of the closet! This REALLY irks me. How come the Troopers - poster child for DCI (Did more shows than just about anyone last year.....always popular with show coordinators and fans), go out and perform and compete yet, they have one hand tied behind their back because of it. Why tour at $4.59/gal diesel??

This needs fixed!

Jack

i don't feel like doing math...does that still leave Pio as first on?

let me check:

Mandarins: 75.225 (atlanta) + 74.65 (San antonio) + 69.125 = 219 / 3 (number of regionals attended) = 73

Pioneer: 70.3 (atlanta) + 69.125 (San antonio) = 139.425 / 2 (number of regionals attended) = 69.7125

so yes. Pioneer will be going on first still. BUT notice how the average of scores has them just over 3 points apart, while in reality Mandarins have been beating them by around 5 head to head. At at least one show they beat them by 10....

This needs fixed!

Jack

Mr. Spur,

First of all, let me welcome you to the wonderful world of Drum Corps Planet. Let me secondly congratulate you for using your first post to support the Troopers.

I will gladly email you an email address that was provided to me by a fine presidential poster named roosevelt.

Mr. Spur,

First of all, let me welcome you to the wonderful world of Drum Corps Planet. Let me secondly congratulate you for using your first post to support the Troopers.

I will gladly email you an email address that was provided to me by a fine presidential poster named roosevelt.

Thanks Granny!

You don't need to email me, because I have already received that information and will be acting on it, pronto!

Jack