How do you decide which corps to join?

For those of you in the Northeast, how do you decide which corps to join? There seem to be so many to choose from within a couple hours drive. Another question I have is if you have transplants that live in other locations that "move in" during the summer for the competitive season? If there are any transplants, I'd love to hear about your experience?

For those of you in the Northeast, how do you decide which corps to join? There seem to be so many to choose from within a couple hours drive. Another question I have is if you have transplants that live in other locations that "move in" during the summer for the competitive season? If there are any transplants, I'd love to hear about your experience?

We came across Cabs by chance . . . My dad happened to work with several members, and they brought my sister down to join back in 95. When I decided to march, it was pretty much set that I would march with Cabs. Now, 10 years later, I came back about a 5 year hiatus, and, while I had offers to march elsewhere, this corps is my family and my home and I can't see myself anywhere else. I grew up with this corps (considering I was a freshman in high school when we first were introduced to the world of DCA, 16 years ago). Heck, at the time, we didn't know much about corps to begin with when my sister first joined. All we knew was what we saw going to the clinics that Juniors used to run when DCI East was still at Giants' Stadium for the high school bands.

Many people follow their friends, go where is local, or whomever they like the most the year before. In some cases (as I know with several of our members) it's a family thing. (We have several second and third generation Cabs in the corps.) They even go based off of staff members in some cases. We have several members that drive great distances to march with us (as I'm sure is the case with other corps) even though there may be corps closer to home, and on any given weekend, I know there are at least 4 people at my house. We have had upwards of 10 people some years as well staying. We also happen to provide a van for the rather large contingency of younger members that come out from Central PAish that don't drive, and housing as well for them on the weekends, as I'm sure other corps do for groups that may come together from long distances. Otherwise, people carpool if they can. We do what we can to give anyone who wants to join us to be able to.

It's kind of like choosing a Junior corps I guess . . . you weigh your options. Look at whats out there, the staff, the people, the shows-both current and previous, and the location. Decide who you like the best, and then whats most feasible for you.

That's pretty cool that there are 2nd and 3rd generations in the Cab family. That's also pretty cool that you guys have vanpools and carpools going on. Does anyone move to the area for the summer and then go back home after the season is over (i.e. teachers)?

That's pretty cool that there are 2nd and 3rd generations in the Cab family. That's also pretty cool that you guys have vanpools and carpools going on. Does anyone move to the area for the summer and then go back home after the season is over (i.e. teachers)?

Not that I'm aware of. I'm pretty definite people travel, since it's only a weekend activity for us . . . We don't have rehearsal during the week (unless a section decides to have a sectional rehearsal then) so everyone I BELIEVE just comes in for the weekends.

I have a long history of marching in senior corps dating back to 1966. I have been self-employed since 1998 and can work from anywhere. In 2000, my wife Mitzi and I were living in Arizona and spending summers with her Mom in Atlantic City NJ. We had been writing a column for Drum Corps World (He Said, She Said) for a long time and we had seen several senior shows the summer before (1999). She said "Would you like to march somewhere next summer" which is all it took. My first choice was Caballeros, second choice Bucs, third choice Hurricanes. Her first choice was Skyliners: "I'm a New Yorker, I like their music, that's the only place I want to march". So, I contacted the corps around January, paid our dues, and signed us up for Honor Guard (Mitzi) and Mellophone. The corps was in a situation membership-wise where they were quite willing to accommodate us by holding spots. I got the music charts, bought a brand new Mellophone and got busy learning the music. I had several conversations with brass caption head John Arietano over the course of the spring. We showed up at the Garfield NJ American Legion Post on Memorial Day weekend after driving from Arizona, got fitted for uniforms, got on the bus and were marching in a parade an hour later! I spent a couple of hectic weeks learning drill (most of it at the same time as the others) and marched in the first show of the seasion on June 17, 2000 in South Brunswick NJ. We marched the entire season and left for Arizona the day after DCA CHampionships were held in Syracuse NY. We chronicled this entire experience in detail in a series of 16 columns for Drum Corps World. Let me know if you would like a copy of these columns. In 2002 we did it all over again. I grew up in Erie PA and we spent that summer marching with the Erie Thunderbirds Alumni. Same story - got music and learned it during the spring, drove from Arizona to Erie in May, took a temporary rental, jumped in line and marched a parade the first day we showed up. I had the pleasure of marching with some guys that I had played with during my high school years in the 1960's, and we were fortunate enough to win the DCA Mini-Corps title that year (I played Mello, Mitzi was Honor Guard captain). Bottom line - you can do it if you have the desire and can find a corps that is accommodating, and many will be, so go for it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

As some like to do....find out which corps has the best shot at winning and go there.

My advice is....find the nearest corps and support them.

I generally march the closest corps with the least demand (schedule / dues). But in 2006 I splurged and transplanted. Various reasons for transplanting, costs about the same, doesn't put 50K miles on the car in one season, et cetera. And it's a bit easier to do if the corps average age is 30+. But it's not something most of us can afford to do every year. Although having no wife or kids helps. And I've seen some that simplify things by owning a mobile home. Although it doesn't really make it any cheaper in the long run. You still feel a little guilty after the season, since your costs could have paid the dues for 1/3rd or more of the corps. And you start debating whether your participation, was as beneficial as sponsoring 1/3rd of the corps could have been. It was certainly more fun though.

Last year there was at least one Cab who moved in for the summer--from Japan!

In my opinion, if you're going to travel farther than you have to for corps, there needs to be a really good reason. So I'd pick the closest corps unless there's something really compelling.

Yes there were some people that have done that in the past. (how they worked it all out I am not sure but it has been done)

Last year we had a Member who came from Japan. He had been trying out for Madison Scouts for a few years and wanted to gain some more experience and he had seen a video of us and came out. I am Happy to say that he is now a member of the Madison Scouts Naoki is name and if you are at east he will tell you the story he is a super nice Guy.

This year we have a member in the pit that comes everyweekend from Atlanta. He has family in the New York area so that helps.

If I ever hit the lottery Big then the corps might have a housing complex for people such as you so you can find a little job and pay a little rent and march. A dollar and a dream you never know.