DCI running on fumes?.....NOT!

From everything I've seen this season, the predictions of gas prices killing DCI attendance this summer has not happened. The 2 events that I attended were packed and it appears that people are attending DCI events no matter what the price of gas. I'm certain the corps are feeling the pinch at the pump, but I haven't heard of a cancellation due to lack of fuel by any corps. I know some corps will be in the red as a result of unexpected fuel costs but so far it looks like Americans go where they want, see what they want, when they want, not matter how screwed up conditions get...I love this country!

I was wondering the other day how much the corps' fees have gone up since I marched simply due to the rise in gas prices.

I've been out of the loop for a while, so I'm sure this was addressed a couple years ago...I'm just too lazy to go back to the archives...

From everything I've seen this season, the predictions of gas prices killing DCI attendance this summer has not happened. The 2 events that I attended were packed and it appears that people are attending DCI events no matter what the price of gas. I'm certain the corps are feeling the pinch at the pump, but I haven't heard of a cancellation due to lack of fuel by any corps. I know some corps will be in the red as a result of unexpected fuel costs but so far it looks like Americans go where they want, see what they want, when they want, not matter how screwed up conditions get...I love this country!

I hope you're right. Many show tickets were ordered (and tour prices for MMs set) before gas prices got nuts, though. On the other hand, many drum corps fans make last-minute plans to drive even several hours to shows and hope for walk-up or resold tickets, so high gas prices might have hurt attendance in that way, and if you're right, there was minimal impact. It also may be that as expensive as driving and buying tickets for a family is, it's still cheaper than a flying vacation someplace, so people may consider drum corps "staycationing".

I'm still nervous about the future of the DCI touring business model given the state of the economy, of the travel industry, and due to high gas prices which I personally don't think will come down much in years to come. I think the cheap-gas party is over. With only about 20 World Class corps left, and with DCI's focus on the World Class corps over Open Class, it will not take many more WC corps going inactive to force major changes in the way DCI does business. It's clearly a risky time for them given economic conditions.

But I like your optimism, truly. Let's all hope it works out and the activity gets even stronger in the face of adversity.

It may not be visible to the naked eye but I am a die hard drum corps fans, and I haven't attended any shows this year. Why? The ticket prices at certain shows are a little high to me and also the gas prices it takes to travel to the show and the lodging etc...I just couldn't justify it this summer. I have a two year old to feed. So he comes first.

I do hope the gas prices won't affect the tournig drum corps but they need to put things in perspective. What is more important? Buying new uniforms every year or gas to go on tour?

Priorities are all that is needed and they should be okay.

Edited by Lancerlady

It may not be visible to the naked eye but I am a die hard drum corps fans, and I haven't attended any shows this year. Why? The ticket prices at certain shows are a little high to me and also the gas prices it takes to travel to the show and the lodging etc...I just couldn't justify it this summer. I have a two year old to feed. So he comes first.

I do hope the gas prices won't affect the tournig drum corps but they need to put things in perspective. What is more important? Buying new uniforms every year or gas to go on tour?

Priorities are all that is needed and they should be okay.

Many corps (not all) don't pay for uniforms. They are part of an endorsement deal with manufacturers. That's how they can afford a new look every year.

Many corps (not all) don't pay for uniforms. They are part of an endorsement deal with manufacturers. That's how they can afford a new look every year.

Yeah...i know it was just one example of many, but uni's aint what they used to be. Gone are the 500$ wool unis that would last 20 years. Now, a majority of corps have unis for less than half that price, made of might lighter (read...less hot) material, that can get thrown in the wash. Downside is...they dont last as long. I dont think corps need to change every single year, but the ones that do are usually in the midst of an identity crisis anyway, and have bigger problems to worry about...

You are talking about the "elite" corps who get those "lavish" endoresements to wear new uniforms. Believe me I know how that game works. But it still doesn't mean it works for the lower tier drum corps who are struggling to keep up with the big guys in hopes of moving up the ladder.

How many summers have we been begged for gas donations after a corps puts in amps or horns or new uniforms for their shows? It's getting rather old to me. If they want to add the new toys to play then they should make sure it's in their budget, that's all I'm sayiing.

Edited by Lancerlady

And everyone should be happy as Exxon Mobil just posted the largest profit margin in american history. Over 11 BILLION in the last QUARTER. They can thank the drum corps circuit for a bunch of that. I love america....just not corporate greed. I traveled through Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota and I have attended 15 shows so far this year and only Normal had a good crowd, and gas was the last of my worries. Scary hotels in the southside of Chicago at 2 am with pimps and their workers at the doors of said hotels.... now that scared me....

Edited by 84skyrydr

And everyone should be happy as Exxon Mobil just posted the largest profit margin in american history. Over 11 BILLION in the last QUARTER. They can thank the drum corps circuit for a bunch of that. I love america....

I know I am happy! :smile: NOT!

I find it hard to believe that the price of gas has negatively effected every other event in the Nation, yet "drum corps" shows remain stable. Couple that with some of the duds for shows on the field this year and I believe the actual picture to be quite different. Surely not all DCI sanctioned events are reporting record breaking attendance figures. I have a feeling come Indy, the actual attendance figures as compared to last year will be quite different and probably no reason to celebrate. Just my two cents.