Updated Quarterfinals Standings 7-31

It appears that we got a response about Quarterfinals seeding:

Thank you for your interest in Drum Corps International and the procedure of how corps performance order is determined for Quarterfinals. We have received many of your emails in regards to this question, and are happy to share this information with you. Each year at the annual meeting, corps directors develop, amend, and approve the format that will be used for determining the appearance order of corps. It typically changes every year, as the organization and the corps that comprise Drum Corps International, are always striving to improve our processes, procedures and rules that corps abide by. Last year, it was determined that for 2008, that scores would be averaged from Denver, Orlando, San Antonio, Atlanta and Allentown to determine performance order. For corps that didn't attend some of these shows, i.e. Denver, the last score received at the show closest to that weekend would be the score used.

Based on this, the following scores should be used for the Denver/Orlando weekend:

Pacific Crest 75.100 (7-12)

Academy 68.800 (7-5)

Pioneer 65.050 (7-8?)

That makes the current Quarterfinals lineup:

1 Blue Devils 91.3500

2 Cavaliers 90.4583

3 Crown 89.4250

4 Phantom 89.1667

5 Cadets 88.4083

6 Bluecoats 86.0583

7 Vanguard 85.7583

8 Blue Knights 83.0583

9 Boston 82.9917

10 Blue Stars 81.4500

11 Glassmen 80.6000

12 Crossmen 78.5250

-------------------------------

13 Colts 78.2750

14 Madison 78.0750

15 Spirit 77.5000

16 Pacific Crest 75.8167

17 Troopers 75.3750

-------------------------------

18 Academy 73.5083

19 Mandarins 73.0000

20 Pioneer 68.1583

Going into this weekend, this is how each corps has to score to improve their placement for next Thursday:

Cavaliers needs to beat Blue Devils by 3.567

Crown needs to beat Cavaliers by 4.133

Phantom needs to beat Crown by 1.033

Cadets needs to beat Phantom by 3.033

Bluecoats needs to beat Cadets by 9.400

Vanguard needs to beat Bluecoats by 1.200

Blue Knights needs to beat Vanguard by 10.800

Boston needs to beat Blue Knights by 0.267

Blue Stars needs to beat Boston by 6.167

Glassmen needs to beat Blue Stars by 3.400

Crossmen needs to beat Glassmen by 8.300

Colts needs to beat Crossmen by 1.000

Madison needs to beat Colts by 0.800

Spirit needs to beat Madison by 2.300

Pacific Crest needs to beat Spirit by 6.733

Troopers needs to beat Pacific Crest by 1.767

Academy needs to beat Troopers by 7.467

Mandarins needs to beat Academy by 2.033

Pioneer needs to beat Mandarins by 19.367

[EDIT: This assumes that they count Academy's pre-Denver scores. The Albuquerque show is closer to Denver, and were they to use that score Academy would have to beat Troop by 0.933]

Edited by Pinwiz

Madison needs to beat Colts by 0.800

:smile:

Pioneer needs to beat Mandarins by 19.367

:worthy:

That's some mighty fine number crunching you have going there.

Interesting none the less and much appreciated, of course :smile:

Which score did you use for the corps that performed more than once in San Antonio and Atlanta?

well assuming the scores you used for PC and Academy are the ones they are going with...they haven't emailed me back yet on it

PC's score should be accurate, because it's on the same day. I recalculated with the Albuquerque scores just in case, and Academy would still have to beat Troop by 0.933.

Here's hoping it's not necessary. :smile:

Which score did you use for the corps that performed more than once in San Antonio and Atlanta?

Afternoon scores, because they lined up with the real placements. In every case except Boston in SA, the Top 8 corps scored higher than the top corps from the afternoon show.

I can do it again with an average score for those corps if you like. I might just do that anyway.

Afternoon scores, because they lined up with the real placements. In every case except Boston in SA, the Top 8 corps scored higher than the top corps from the afternoon show.

I can do it again with an average score for those corps if you like. I might just do that anyway.

I don't know if there is an equitable answer. The spreads are off for the >9th seeds with the afternoon scores being much higher and not the head-to-head. But the evening scores would benefit the <12th place corps. Maybe the average of both would be the most fair.

Edited by patblamo